(CNN)An 18-year-old who complained of seizures in the emergency room of an Indian hospital turned out to have parasites in his brain, according to a case study published Thursday in the New England Journal of Medicine.
Teen dies of tapeworm larvae infestation in the brain
Drs. Nishanth Dev and S. Zafar Abbas of the ESIC Medical College and Hospital in Faridabad reported that the patient, who appeared in the ER with swelling over his right eye, was having tonic-clonic seizures. Formerly known as "grand mal" seizures, these neural disturbances cause stiffened muscles and a loss of consciousness.
His parents said that their son had felt pain in his right groin for a week. A physical exam revealed that he had tenderness in the right testis and was feeling confused.