The NFL suspended Cleveland Browns running back Kareem Hunt on Friday for the first eight regular-season games without pay for violating the league’s personal conduct policy, stemming from physical altercations at his Cleveland residence in February 2018 and at a resort in Ohio in June.
The NFL announcement said that Hunt advised the league office he accepts responsibility for his conduct and the discipline.
Hunt, 23, who signed with the Browns last month, was released by the Kansas City Chiefs on November 30 after a video from February 2018 surfaced appearing to show him pushing and kicking a woman. That same day he had been placed on the commissioner’s exempt list.
“I want to again apologize for my actions last year,” Hunt said in a statement Friday. “I know that my behavior hurt a lot of people, and I again apologize to them.
“I respect the league’s decision on discipline, and I appreciate the time I spent with Commissioner (Roger) Goodell last week. I’m grateful for my time with the Browns over the last month and thankful to all the people in the organization that have welcomed me. I also appreciate all of the support I received from my union through this process.
“My commitment to earning the trust of the league, my teammates, the organization and this community through my actions will continue, and I understand there is a lot of hard work ahead of me before I’m able to fully return to playing the game I love.”
Hunt’s eight-game suspension will take effect as of the final roster reduction on August 31. He will be eligible to play in the Browns’ ninth regular season game. He will be entering his third NFL season.
Hunt tallied 14 touchdowns in 2018 before his release from the Chiefs. He was selected to the Pro Bowl in his 2017 rookie season, with stats that included 1,327 rushing yards for eight touchdowns and 455 receiving yards and three scores.