GANGNEUNG, SOUTH KOREA - FEBRUARY 20:  Sukhee Shim of Korea competes during the Ladies Short Track Speed Skating 100m Heats on day eleven of the PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympic Games at Gangneung Ice Arena on February 20, 2018 in Gangneung, South Korea.  (Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images)
Richard Heathcote/Getty Images AsiaPac/Getty Images
GANGNEUNG, SOUTH KOREA - FEBRUARY 20: Sukhee Shim of Korea competes during the Ladies Short Track Speed Skating 100m Heats on day eleven of the PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympic Games at Gangneung Ice Arena on February 20, 2018 in Gangneung, South Korea. (Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images)
Now playing
02:32
South Korea skating rocked by abuse accusations
ITN
Now playing
01:15
Prince Charles speaks following Prince Philip's death
LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM - APRIL 10: The Honourable Artillery Company fire a gun salute at The Tower of London on April 10, 2021 in London, United Kingdom.  The Death Gun Salute will be fired at 1200 marking the death of His Royal Highness, The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. Across the country and the globe saluting batteries will fire 41 rounds, 1 round at the start of each minute, for 40 minutes. Gun salutes are customarily fired, both on land and at sea, as a sign of respect or welcome. The Chief of the Defence Staff, General Sir Nicholas Carter, said "His Royal Highness has been a great friend, inspiration and role model for the Armed Forces and he will be sorely missed." (Photo by Chris Jackson/Getty Images)
Chris Jackson/Getty Images
LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM - APRIL 10: The Honourable Artillery Company fire a gun salute at The Tower of London on April 10, 2021 in London, United Kingdom. The Death Gun Salute will be fired at 1200 marking the death of His Royal Highness, The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. Across the country and the globe saluting batteries will fire 41 rounds, 1 round at the start of each minute, for 40 minutes. Gun salutes are customarily fired, both on land and at sea, as a sign of respect or welcome. The Chief of the Defence Staff, General Sir Nicholas Carter, said "His Royal Highness has been a great friend, inspiration and role model for the Armed Forces and he will be sorely missed." (Photo by Chris Jackson/Getty Images)
Now playing
02:03
Prince Philip tributes pour in from around the world
CNN Weather
Now playing
01:35
Powerful Tropical Cyclone Seroja takes aim at Western Australia
Ash rises into the air as La Soufriere volcano erupts on the eastern Caribbean island of St. Vincent, seen from Chateaubelair, Friday, April 9, 2021. (AP Photo/Orvil Samuel)
Orvil Samuel/AP
Ash rises into the air as La Soufriere volcano erupts on the eastern Caribbean island of St. Vincent, seen from Chateaubelair, Friday, April 9, 2021. (AP Photo/Orvil Samuel)
Now playing
00:58
See the looming clouds of ash over La Soufrière volcano
People view flowers left in front of the gate at Buckingham Palace in London, after the announcement of the death of Britain's Prince Philip, Friday, April 9, 2021. Buckingham Palace officials say Prince Philip, the husband of Queen Elizabeth II, has died. He was 99. Philip spent a month in hospital earlier this year before being released on March 16 to return to Windsor Castle.
Matt Dunham/AP
People view flowers left in front of the gate at Buckingham Palace in London, after the announcement of the death of Britain's Prince Philip, Friday, April 9, 2021. Buckingham Palace officials say Prince Philip, the husband of Queen Elizabeth II, has died. He was 99. Philip spent a month in hospital earlier this year before being released on March 16 to return to Windsor Castle.
Now playing
01:54
Tributes to Prince Philip pour in from around the world
Britain's Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, in his role as Captain General, Royal Marines, attends a Parade to mark the finale of the 1664 Global Challenge on the Buckingham Palace Forecourt in central London on August 2, 2017.  
After a lifetime of public service by the side of his wife Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Philip finally retires on August 2, 2017,at the age of 96. The Duke of Edinburgh attended a parade of Royal Marines at Buckingham Palace, the last of 22,219 solo public engagements since she ascended to the throne in 1952.
 / AFP PHOTO / POOL / HANNAH MCKAY        (Photo credit should read HANNAH MCKAY/AFP/Getty Images)
HANNAH MCKAY/AFP/Getty Images
Britain's Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, in his role as Captain General, Royal Marines, attends a Parade to mark the finale of the 1664 Global Challenge on the Buckingham Palace Forecourt in central London on August 2, 2017. After a lifetime of public service by the side of his wife Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Philip finally retires on August 2, 2017,at the age of 96. The Duke of Edinburgh attended a parade of Royal Marines at Buckingham Palace, the last of 22,219 solo public engagements since she ascended to the throne in 1952. / AFP PHOTO / POOL / HANNAH MCKAY (Photo credit should read HANNAH MCKAY/AFP/Getty Images)
Now playing
01:39
The life of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
screengrab myanmar ambassador to UK
CNN
screengrab myanmar ambassador to UK
Now playing
01:02
Video shows Myanmar's ambassador 'locked out' of embassy
King Abdullah II of Jordan and his half brother, former crown prince Hamzah bin Al Hussein
AFP/Getty Images
King Abdullah II of Jordan and his half brother, former crown prince Hamzah bin Al Hussein
Now playing
02:39
Jordan's King breaks silence about family fallout
CNN
Now playing
06:13
Inside Iraq's crippling crystal meth crisis
Now playing
05:27
Myanmar special envoy: It is time for the world to stop another genocide
Navalny tea
Life.RU
Navalny tea
Now playing
02:44
Videos show Putin critic inside prison
Norwegian Coastal Administration
Now playing
00:34
Video shows dramatic crew rescue after ship lost power during storm
This picture shows the interior of Palais Vivienne apartment, owned by French collector Pierre-Jean Chalencon, on April 5, 2021. - The lawyer of Pierre-Jean Chalencon, owner of the "Palais Vivienne", implicated by a report from French channel M6 for clandestine dinners in Paris, told AFP on April 4th that his client was only "joking" when he declared ministers participated in such meals. Paris prosecutor Remy Heitz opened a criminal investigation on alleged dinners banned during the pandemic. - RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE (Photo by Thomas COEX / AFP) / RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE (Photo by THOMAS COEX/AFP via Getty Images)
Thomas Coex/AFP/Getty Images
This picture shows the interior of Palais Vivienne apartment, owned by French collector Pierre-Jean Chalencon, on April 5, 2021. - The lawyer of Pierre-Jean Chalencon, owner of the "Palais Vivienne", implicated by a report from French channel M6 for clandestine dinners in Paris, told AFP on April 4th that his client was only "joking" when he declared ministers participated in such meals. Paris prosecutor Remy Heitz opened a criminal investigation on alleged dinners banned during the pandemic. - RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE (Photo by Thomas COEX / AFP) / RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE (Photo by THOMAS COEX/AFP via Getty Images)
Now playing
00:38
Video shows Paris elite enjoying secret dinner parties amid pandemic
Shutterstock
Now playing
02:54
A timeline of the Iran nuclear deal so far
Houthi handout
Now playing
04:23
Yemen's Houthis step up attacks on Saudi Arabia
(CNN) —  

A former South Korean governor and one-time presidential contender has been sentenced to three and a half years in prison for rape, five months after he was controversially acquitted for the same crime.

Ahn Hee-jung was jailed by an appeals court Friday for the rape and assault of Kim Ji-eun, his former assistant, Kim’s lawyer Jung Hye-sun told CNN.

Speaking after the verdict, Kim thanked her lawyers and witnesses who supported her case.

“I can say goodbye to my torturous time when I was forced to live feeling like a witch to be burnt,” she said.

“I’d like to share all the help I received with other victims who still have to prove everything in their lonely fights. I’d like to send my solidarity to all the victims of sexual crimes whether they spoke about their cases but were ignored or couldn’t speak about their issues and quietly watched my trial.”

Kim came forward with the allegations during an interview with South Korean news channel JTBC last year. Her testimony helped kick start the South Korean MeToo movement, and Ahn was later charged with 10 counts of sexual harassment and sexual coercion.

At the first trial, however, a court found Ahn not guilty on all counts based on a lack of evidence he had abused his power to compel Kim to act against her will. In a controversial decision, judges refused to admit some of Kim’s testimony about her assault.

After prosecutors appealed the case, a court on Friday threw out the initial verdict, and found Ahn guilty on nine of 10 counts, Jung said.

CNN has reached out to Ahn’s lawyer for comment on the case, but has yet to receive a response.

People watch a television news report showing a picture of Kim Ji-eun (right on television), a secretary of Ahn Hee-jung, at a railway station in Seoul on March 6, 2018.
AFP/AFP/Getty Images
People watch a television news report showing a picture of Kim Ji-eun (right on television), a secretary of Ahn Hee-jung, at a railway station in Seoul on March 6, 2018.

Before the allegations surfaced, Ahn was seen as a rising star in the ruling Democratic party. He was the runner up to current President Moon Jae-in to represent the party in last year’s presidential election.

Korean society has long been considered conservative and male-dominated. In the past, women were expected to be silent and accepting in the face of unfair treatment or even sexual assault.

The MeToo movement, however, has encouraged women like Kim to speak out about their experiences. In December last year, prominent Korean short track skating, Shim Suk-hee, filed a complaint against her former coach, Cho Jae-beom, alleging multiple sexual assaults.

Shim’s testimony opened a floodgate for other athletes to come forward with allegations of physical and sexual assault. Last month, a nationwide investigation into the sports industry was launched by the National Human Rights Commission. It is expected to interview more than 130,000 student and adult athletes, and cover dozens of sports.

Ahn is the second high profile man to be convicted on MeToo-related allegations in recent weeks. In late January, Ahn Tae-geun, a former top prosecutor, was jailed for abuse of power, after he retaliated against a subordinate who accused him of sexual assault by reassigning her to a remote part of the country.

CNN’s Jake Kwon and James Griffiths contributed reporting.