John Bolton
Pool
John Bolton
Now playing
01:35
Bolton to Iran: Hell to pay if you cross us
Getty Images
Now playing
03:40
See top Trump DOJ official's two-word response to election probe request
US President Joe Biden gives a press conference after the NATO summit at the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) headquarters in Brussels, on June 14, 2021.
OLIVIER HOSLET/AFP/POOL/Getty Images
US President Joe Biden gives a press conference after the NATO summit at the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) headquarters in Brussels, on June 14, 2021.
Now playing
01:25
Biden calls on foreign leaders to protect against 'phony populism'
CNN
Now playing
01:39
Honig: Emails show Trump had his enablers
Senate TV
Now playing
05:54
McConnell dismisses Trump DOJ's secret seizure of data
POOL
Now playing
02:47
'Surprise is an understatement': Reporter on lawmaker's apology
WAVE
Now playing
01:52
McConnell vows to deny Biden SCOTUS pick if GOP wins back Senate
Now playing
02:31
Merrick Garland announces plan to combat domestic terrorism
arizona election audit murray ebof vpx_00001313.png
arizona election audit murray ebof vpx_00001313.png
Now playing
02:19
Ballot maker: We've never seen an audit conducted this way
CNN
Now playing
02:30
Rep. Stewart makes false claim about Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene
UNITED STATES - JUNE 9: Attorney General Merrick Garland arrives for the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies hearing on the proposed budget for fiscal year 2022 for the Department of Justice on Wednesday, June 9, 2021. (Photo by Bill Clark/CQ Roll Call via AP Images)
Bill Clark/CQ Roll Call/AP
UNITED STATES - JUNE 9: Attorney General Merrick Garland arrives for the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies hearing on the proposed budget for fiscal year 2022 for the Department of Justice on Wednesday, June 9, 2021. (Photo by Bill Clark/CQ Roll Call via AP Images)
Now playing
02:34
Merrick Garland releases statement regarding leak probes
Now playing
08:21
'Very offensive': Mom of US Marine jailed in Russia reacts to Putin's comment
Now playing
02:38
CNN's Barbara Starr: No idea why the DOJ snuck into my life
NYC Mayor's Office/CNN
Now playing
06:15
Keilar: NYC's mayor has zero you-know-whats to give
Fox News/CNN
Now playing
01:21
Texas lawmaker reacts to Lara Trump telling border citizens to 'arm up'
CNN
Now playing
03:45
Avlon: Now America's allies are breathing a bit easier
Washington CNN —  

The White House’s National Security Council asked the Pentagon last year for plans for launching a military attack against Iran, the Wall Street Journal reported early Sunday, citing current and former US officials.

The request from the council, which is led by national security adviser John Bolton, came after an attack in September on the US Embassy in Baghdad by a militant group aligned with Iran, according to the Journal.

According to the paper, Mira Ricardel, the former deputy national security adviser, described the attacks in Iraq as “an act of war,” and said that the US needed to respond accordingly.

The request was met with concern by both the Pentagon and the State Department, according to the Journal, with one former administration official telling the paper that people were “shocked” by the request.

A senior administration official told CNN on Sunday that it’s not accurate to say the Pentagon and State Department were caught off guard by the request, but would not confirm any other details from the Journal’s report.

Although the Pentagon obeyed the request by the council, the Journal reported, it is unknown whether or not the plans for striking Iran were ever fully developed or even provided to the White House. The Journal also said that it is unknown whether President Donald Trump had knowledge of the request.

In a statement provided to CNN on Sunday, Garrett Marquis, a spokesman for the council, said that it “coordinates policy and provides the President with options to anticipate and respond to a variety of threats.”

“We continue to review the status of our personnel following attempted attacks on our embassy in Baghdad and our Basra consulate, and we will consider a full range of options to preserve their safety and our interests,” the statement read. Marquis also provided the Journal with the same response.

Later Sunday, Defense Department spokesman Col. Rob Manning told CNN that the department “is a planning organization and provides the President military options for a variety of threats; routinely reviewing and updating plans and activities to deal with a host of threats, including those posed by Iran, to deter and, if necessary, to respond to aggression.”

The Journal, citing conversations with people familiar with the talks, also reported that the council requested options for launching strikes at both Iraq and Syria when they made the request for Iran.

CNN’s Sarah Westwood and Ryan Browne contributed to this report.