(CNN)Police have made three arrests in the slayings of two Honduran migrant teens who were in the process of moving to a new shelter in Tijuana, Mexico, a prosecutor said Wednesday.
3 arrested in slayings of Honduran teens in Tijuana, prosecutor says
A news release from the attorney general's office in the Mexican state of Baja California identified the suspects only as Esmeralda N., Carlos N. and Francisco Javier N.
Tijuana and Baja California sit on the US border, south of California.
The two boys -- believed to be 16 or 17, according to witnesses -- had been staying at a shelter for migrant youths and were on their way to another shelter Saturday when they were killed in an apparent robbery attempt, the news release said.
Police are still investigating the motive, the prosecutor's office said.
Their bodies were found just after 7 p.m. (10 p.m. ET) in an alleyway near the city center. They had suffered stabbing and strangulation wounds, the release said.
A third boy who witnessed the killings was "seriously injured" in the attack but survived, Honduran officials said. He managed to escape but remains at risk, officials said.
Alden Rivera, the Honduran ambassador to Mexico, told Reuters the boys were brutally killed.