(CNN)The FBI says it is overhauling its public tip-line system -- partly by adding staff and changing review protocols -- following criticism that the bureau missed tips about the man later accused of killing 17 people in February's school shooting in Parkland, Florida.
The FBI is overhauling its tip line after missing red flags in the Parkland shooting
The changes involve the FBI's Public Access Line, which takes thousands of calls a day from the public around the clock, FBI Assistant Director Douglas E. Lindquist said in letter this month to the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Commission.
Altering the FBI's tip-line unit will ensure it has "the staff and functionality to analyze and disseminate information in a timely manner to the field," Lindquist wrote.
According to the letter, the changes include:
• Adding professional staff and 12 supervisory special agents.
• Staff taking calls will be divided into two tiers: A Tier 1 that handles "nuisance calls" and provides general information about the FBI, and a Tier 2 that takes calls involving "potential lead values," such as threats to life and counterterrorism and criminal matters.
• Synopses written by Tier 2 staff will be scored "using a key threat word list." Speech-to-text technology will help identify these words in transcripts.
• Even calls that show no lead value must be reviewed by a supervisory special agent if the synopses contains one key threat word.
• A quality management team will review all calls related to threat-to-life and counterterrorism matters, as well as some other calls, in part to assess operators' phone, technical and decision-making skills.
• The FBI is enhancing training for tip-line staff to help them identify and relay information relating to threats to life and potential school shooters.
The bureau faced criticism and promised a review after it revealed that Nikolas Cruz, the man accused of gunning down students and staff at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on February 14, had been previously flagged in tips.
In March, Acting Deputy FBI Director David Bowdich told US House members privately that the FBI missed two tips about the threat that Cruz posed to his community, according to multiple sources.
The first tip, coming in September 2017, came after a YouTube post that asserted that Cruz wanted to be a school shooter, something that was directed to a field office in Jackson, Mississippi, Bowdich told lawmakers in a private meeting, according to the sources. The agent in charge of the matter investigated the issue, but that agent was unable to make any headway in the investigation, failing to determine who Cruz was.
The agent did not ask YouTube for a copy of the original posting or send a preservation order to YouTube, according to the sources. After fruitlessly t