This page includes the show Transcript
The Weekly Newsquiz tests your knowledge of events in the news
August 31, 2018
A crisis in Venezuela leads off this Friday’s show. We’re explaining what led to it, what kinds of effects it’s had, and how it’s now affecting neighboring countries. Afterward, we’re taking you to the capital of Vietnam, where a U.S. pilot and politician once remembered as an enemy is now being honored as a friend.
1. U.S. Sen. John McCain, who passed away on August 25, was a decorated Navy bomber pilot and prisoner of war during what conflict?
2. What three countries are part of NAFTA, the North American Free Trade Agreement, which was ratified in 1993?
3. U.S. President Donald Trump announced on Monday that his country had reached a new trade agreement with what other nation?
4. Name the Hawaiian island that was flooded in some places by more than 51 inches of rain from Hurricane Lane.
5. A recent study that suggested air pollution is linked to reduced brain function was based on tests conducted in what country, where several cities struggle with pollution?
6. According to NASA, what poses the greatest risk to space missions?
7. The U.S. commonwealth of Puerto Rico recently updated its official death toll from what hurricane, which struck the island in September 2017?
8. What two historic American publications, which date back to 1792 and 1818, recently released very different forecasts for winter weather?
9. On what commodity is much of Venezuela’s economy based, leading to severe economic problems following a price drop in that commodity?
10. Name the capital of Vietnam, where a U.S. pilot and politician once remembered as an enemy is now being honored as a friend.
CNN 10 serves a growing audience interested in compact on-demand news broadcasts ideal for explanation seekers on the go or in the classroom. The show’s priority is to identify stories of international significance and then clearly describe why they’re making news, who is affected, and how the events fit into a complex, international society.
Thank you for using CNN 10