Film director Luc Besson.
Film director Luc Besson.
PHOTO: BERTRAND GUAY/AFP/AFP/Getty Images
(CNN) —  

A rape investigation has been launched against one of France’s best-known film directors, Luc Besson, the Paris prosecutor’s office told CNN on Saturday.

The alleged incident happened at the five-star Bristol Hotel in central Paris on Thursday, according to the prosecutor’s office.

The luxury Bristol Hotel in Paris.
The luxury Bristol Hotel in Paris.
PHOTO: FRED DUFOUR/AFP/AFP/Getty Images

Besson’s lawyer, Thierry Marembert, told CNN affiliate BFMTV that his client denies the accusations.

CNN has so far not been able to make direct contact with Besson or a representative.

The 59-year-old director and screenwriter’s films include “Léon: The Professional,” “The Fifth Element” and “The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc.”

The allegation comes at a time when sexual harassment within in the film industry is under greater scrutiny than ever, following a number of high profile cases in the past year.

Sandrine Amiel reported from Paris, Sheena McKenzie wrote in London