KPRC
Now playing
01:29
TX Lt. gov.: Too many school entrances, exits
CNN
Now playing
02:18
Husband of shooting survivor: Officer is my hero
Now playing
00:58
Accused Texas shooter's dad: 'I feel the pain'
NATIONAL HARBOR, MD - MARCH 07:  Former United States Marine Corps Lieutenant Colonel and television host Oliver North speaks during the second day of the Conservative Political Action Conference at the Gaylord International Hotel and Conference Center March 7, 2014 in National Harbor, Maryland. The CPAC annual meeting brings together conservative politicians, pundits and their supporters for speeches, panels and classes.  (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images North America/Getty Images
NATIONAL HARBOR, MD - MARCH 07: Former United States Marine Corps Lieutenant Colonel and television host Oliver North speaks during the second day of the Conservative Political Action Conference at the Gaylord International Hotel and Conference Center March 7, 2014 in National Harbor, Maryland. The CPAC annual meeting brings together conservative politicians, pundits and their supporters for speeches, panels and classes. (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
Now playing
01:09
Future NRA leader links shootings to Ritalin
Sadie Baze says her daughter, Shana Fisher, was one of the students who lost their life in the shooting yesterday. 
She tells CNNís Nick Valencia that she keeps expecting her daughter to walk through the front door ìbut sheís never going to walk through the front door again.î 

Baze says for the last four months the alleged shooter, Dimitrios Pagourtzis, had been making advances towards Shana, asking her to date him. 

A week ago, in the middle of class, Shana stood up and told Pagourtzis she wouldnít go out with him, Baze said. 

Pagourtzis previously dated Fisherís best friend and her mom told her previously ìyou donít date your friendís exís.î 

Baze believes the incident embarrassed the gunman so much that he targeted Shana
From Facebook
Sadie Baze says her daughter, Shana Fisher, was one of the students who lost their life in the shooting yesterday. She tells CNNís Nick Valencia that she keeps expecting her daughter to walk through the front door ìbut sheís never going to walk through the front door again.î Baze says for the last four months the alleged shooter, Dimitrios Pagourtzis, had been making advances towards Shana, asking her to date him. A week ago, in the middle of class, Shana stood up and told Pagourtzis she wouldnít go out with him, Baze said. Pagourtzis previously dated Fisherís best friend and her mom told her previously ìyou donít date your friendís exís.î Baze believes the incident embarrassed the gunman so much that he targeted Shana
Now playing
01:38
Mom: Daughter turned down suspect's advances
title:  duration: 00:00:00 site:  author:  published:  intervention: yes description:
KTRK
title: duration: 00:00:00 site: author: published: intervention: yes description:
Now playing
00:54
Shooting survivor: I'm not surprised
armed Trump supporter outside school shooting sot_00002901.jpg
KPRC
armed Trump supporter outside school shooting sot_00002901.jpg
Now playing
01:45
Armed Trump supporter near school after shooting sparks outrage
Santa Fe High School junior Guadalupe Sanchez, 16, cries in the arms of her mother, Elida Sanchez, after reuniting with her at a meeting point at a nearby Alamo Gym fitness center following a shooting at Santa Fe High School in Santa Fe, Texas, on Friday, May 18, 2018. (Michael Ciaglo/Houston Chronicle via AP)
Michael Ciaglo/Houston Chronicle via AP
Santa Fe High School junior Guadalupe Sanchez, 16, cries in the arms of her mother, Elida Sanchez, after reuniting with her at a meeting point at a nearby Alamo Gym fitness center following a shooting at Santa Fe High School in Santa Fe, Texas, on Friday, May 18, 2018. (Michael Ciaglo/Houston Chronicle via AP)
Now playing
01:09
Report: More killed in school than in military
Now playing
02:38
Don Lemon: When will we finally listen?
KPRC
Now playing
01:19
Abbott: We need to do more than just pray
Trump shooting response
CNN
Trump shooting response
Now playing
01:27
Trump: Shootings have been going on too long
KPRC
Now playing
00:42
Student on shooting: Nobody thought it would be this
guttenberg
CNN
guttenberg
Now playing
02:29
Parkland dad: Not talking is not legislation
Pres. Donald Trump reacts to the shooting at Santa Fe High School in Texas
CNN
Pres. Donald Trump reacts to the shooting at Santa Fe High School in Texas
Now playing
01:45
How Trump responds to shooting attacks
CNN —  

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick blamed Friday’s massacre at a high school near Houston in part on “too many entrances and too many exits” on the campus, prompting some to mock his perspective as “door control.”

“From what we know, this student walked in … with a long coat and a shotgun under his coat,” said Patrick, a Republican who has an A+ rating from the National Rifle Association. “It’s 90 degrees. Had there been one single entrance possibly for every student, maybe he would have been stopped.”

Patrick, who has previously pushed for open carry and concealed carry laws in Texas, made the comments during a news conference on the same day a 17-year-old student allegedly opened fire with a shotgun and a revolver at Santa Fe High School, killing 10 people and injuring at least 10 others. The firearms were owned by the suspect’s father, Texas’ governor has said.

While Patrick also implored parents who own guns to lock them safely away, he focused his remarks not on weapons but on redesigning school entryways. In placing a focus on doors, Patrick seemingly fell in line with the powerful gun-lobbying group’s strategy following school-shooting incidents of identifying possible ways – apart from restricting firearms – to make campuses safer.

“There are too many entrances and too many exits to our over 8,000 campuses in Texas. There aren’t enough people to put a guard in every entrance and exit,” Patrick said, suggesting officials consider retrofitting existing schools to reduce doorways.

Patrick’s proposal drew criticism online, with some noting that it ignored the role of guns in the recent bloodshed.

The proposal to limit exits and entrances also raised concerns of creating a major hazard in an emergency, as it could limit the number of people who could flee at once.

Robert Solomon, the division director for building and life safety codes with the National Fire Protection Association, said the issue may not be the number of entrances and exits but the availability of access points.

Many buildings now are designed with a single entry point but many more optional exits. Think of Walmart or Costco, he said, with one main entrance and exit doors around the perimeter that can open from the inside in case of emergency.

“Maybe his goal was to limit the number of access points, to funnel everyone through a single entrance point,” Solomon said of Patrick’s comments.

“That is perfectly acceptable as long as I have all these other doors for people that are already inside that need to get out in an emergency,” he said. “That is a very typical arrangement, and it still would be code-compliant.”

In his comments, Patrick compared schools to other major facilities.

“If we can protect a large office building or a courthouse or any major facility, maybe we need to look at limiting the entrance and the exits into our schools so that we can have law enforcement looking at the people who come in one or two entrances,” he said.

Patrick also suggested staggering student start times to avoid a logjam at the door.

“Now, that will take a lot of work and a lot of money, but we need to do the work and do the money to protect the children the best we can. In other words, we may need to harden our schools and make them safer,” he said.

“That’s just one of many answers, and that’s why the governor is calling for the roundtable to discuss every option.”