Washington (CNN)Days after The New York Times reported that Pat Meehan had used taxpayer funds to settle a sexual harassment claim brought by a former staffer, the Pennsylvania Republican congressman decided to give an interview to the Philadelphia Inquirer.
- Meehan says he was not interested in the woman sexually. "I was a happily married man and I was not interested in a relationship, particularly not any sexual relationship, but we were soul mates. (Has no one learned ANYTHING from Mark Sanford?)
- After confessing his feelings to the woman, he engaged in a hug that lasted "maybe longer that night than needed to be."
- He acknowledges that he reacted poorly when she told him about her boyfriend. "When I discussed her boyfriend, I stated that I wished I could be better at accepting it right now but I probably needed a bit of time," admitted Meehan.
- He released a letter he wrote to her after that hostile reaction in which he tells her (among MANY other inappropriate things): "You are kind and sensitive and caring and infectious with your laugh. You are and have been a complete partner to me and you have brought me much happiness."
- In the letter, he also argues that there is more to come for the two of them. "As we travel our paths together, I am comforted that there is more unwritten," writes Meehan.
- He says that "in hindsight" he should have been more aware of the power dynamic between the two -- he as a member of Congress and she as a staffer. Then he offers this doozy: "There is no hierarchy -- we call it Team Meehan."