SAN FRANCISCO, CA - JUNE 05:  A pedestrian uses a smartphone as he walks along Market Street on June 5, 2013 in San Francisco, California.  According to a study by the Pew Internet & American Life Project, over half of American adults, or 56 percent, have smartphones, up from 35 percent two years ago.  (Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)
Justin Sullivan/Getty Images/FILE
SAN FRANCISCO, CA - JUNE 05: A pedestrian uses a smartphone as he walks along Market Street on June 5, 2013 in San Francisco, California. According to a study by the Pew Internet & American Life Project, over half of American adults, or 56 percent, have smartphones, up from 35 percent two years ago. (Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)
Now playing
01:05
WH bans personal cell phones in West Wing
Andrew Jackson Magnolia Tree on the White House South Lawn
Jeremy Moorhead / CNN
Andrew Jackson Magnolia Tree on the White House South Lawn
Now playing
01:36
Historic White House tree is coming down
Pool
Now playing
00:56
Boy demands apology from Mike Pence
trump turkey pardon moos pkg erin_00020504.jpg
trump turkey pardon moos pkg erin_00020504.jpg
Now playing
02:08
Trump pardons Drumstick the turkey
Trump white house halloween erin Moos PKG_00010001.jpg
Trump white house halloween erin Moos PKG_00010001.jpg
Now playing
01:52
Halloween comes to the White House
Now playing
00:57
Trump to kids: How does the press treat you?
intruder attempts white house breach nobles nr_00003519.jpg
intruder attempts white house breach nobles nr_00003519.jpg
Now playing
01:42
Intruder attempts to breach White House
Melania Trump White House garden event sot_00000000.jpg
Melania Trump White House garden event sot_00000000.jpg
Now playing
02:15
Melania Trump tends White House garden
President Donald Trump, first lady Melania Trump and their son Barron Trump arrive at the White House on Sunday, June 11, 2017 in Washington, D.C.
Chris Kleponis/Pool/Getty Images
President Donald Trump, first lady Melania Trump and their son Barron Trump arrive at the White House on Sunday, June 11, 2017 in Washington, D.C.
Now playing
01:50
Melania Trump moves into the White House
trump easter egg roll
Getty Images
trump easter egg roll
Now playing
01:58
The Trumps host their first Easter Egg Roll
Now playing
01:12
Trump, first lady honor military mothers

Story highlights

Staff will still be able to use their government-issued devices

The new policy will apply to both staff and guests

CNN —  

The White House is banning the use of personal cell phones within the West Wing, citing security concerns, a move that has prompted widespread frustration amongst staffers.

“The security and integrity of the technology systems at the White House is a top priority for the Trump administration and therefore, starting next week, the use of all personal devices for both guests and staff will no longer be allowed in the West Wing,” White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said in a statement Thursday morning.

Sanders said staff will continue be able to conduct business on government-issued devices.

The ban on personal cell phones does not apply to the President, a person familiar with the decision says.

The decision to ban personal cell phones had been under discussion for months, but never executed. It’s an idea chief of staff John Kelly floated when he first entered the administration in July, but had not decided to enforce until now. It’s unclear why the policy was announced this week.

The standard is expected to apply to everyone – including top officials like Hope Hicks – one person familiar with the decision tells CNN.

The policy has drawn the ire of those it will affect, with several staffers questioning how they are expected to stay in touch with their families while working 12-hour days.

One source close to the White House said “no one is happy” with the decision, adding that no one inside the West Wing believes the official explanation that the cell phone ban is for national security reasons. Instead, it’s all about limiting leaks to reporters, this source said.

Another source close to White House said the policy is aimed at stopping leaking from inside the West Wing.

“It’s not about being secure. It’s about being suspicious,” the source said.

Pressed Thursday, Sanders insisted again that the ban is “about the security and integrity about the technology over here at the White House,” and not about leaks from inside the White House.

Sanders said the decision to ban staffers from using personal cell phones in the West Wing has been in the works for the past six months. During that period, Sanders said the White House has looked for ways to increase White House officials’ ability to use “other applications” on their phones and to ensure compliance with the Presidential Records Act.

In the early months of the Trump administration, former White House press secretary Sean Spicer reviewed his aides’ personal and government-issued cell phones in an effort to ensure they weren’t privately communicating with reporters amid a series of information leaks. He also informed staff that the use of encrypted messaging apps, like Signal and Confide, was a violation of the Federal Records Act.

Though Sanders said the phone ban will begin “starting next week,” there has not yet been internal guidance on the policy, and it’s still unclear when it will take effect. Some staffers are also still wondering whether there will be any exemptions and what the consequences would be for violating the personal cell phone ban.

CNN’s Dylan Byers, Jim Acosta, Jeff Zeleny, Kevin Liptak, Jeremy Diamond and Kaitlan Collins contributed to this report.