(CNN)The deadly shooting at the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, Texas -- a sanctuary and place of worship -- may be unthinkable, but it's not unprecedented.
- In September 2017, as services were ending at the Burnette Chapel Church of Christ in Antioch, Tennessee, near Nashville, a gunman shot and killed a congregant named Melanie Crow Smith, who was walking back to her car. The gunman then entered the church with a pair of pistols and started firing. Almost 50 people were inside; the gunman wounded six.
- In 2014, a pastor was shot and killed during a service at the Mater Misericordiae (Mother of Mercy) Mission Catholic Church in Phoenix.
- In 2013, the pastor of the Tabernacle of Praise Worship Center in Lake Charles, Louisiana, was shot and killed while the choir was singing hymns.
- In 2008, a gunman walked in during a children's musical performance at the Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church in Knoxville, Tennessee, and fatally shot two people.
- In 2007, a man shot and killed four people in two attacks -- first, at the Youth With a Mission Center religious complex in Colorado Springs after a Christmas banquet; and then in the parking lot at the New Life Church in Arvada, Colorado.
- A shooting at the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin in 2012 left six dead and four wounded.
- In 2014, a gunman killed three in two separate shootings at the Jewish Community Center of Greater Kansas City and Village Shalom in Overland, Kansas.