ISIS claims Manila casino attack despite police denial

Updated 12:44 PM EDT, Fri June 2, 2017
Firemen arrive at the Resorts World Hotel following an assault in Manila on June 2, 2017.
Thirty-four bodies were found in a casino complex after a gunman started a fire in the building, the local police chief said. / AFP PHOTO / NOEL CELIS        (Photo credit should read NOEL CELIS/AFP/Getty Images)
NOEL CELIS/AFP/Getty Images
Firemen arrive at the Resorts World Hotel following an assault in Manila on June 2, 2017. Thirty-four bodies were found in a casino complex after a gunman started a fire in the building, the local police chief said. / AFP PHOTO / NOEL CELIS (Photo credit should read NOEL CELIS/AFP/Getty Images)
Now playing
01:17
Dozens die in Manila casino attack
MARAWI CITY, PHILIPPINES - MAY 25: Soldiers run for cover to evade sniper fire while trying to clear the city of armed militants, one street at a time, on May 25, 2017 in Marawi city, southern Philippines. Gun battles between ISIS-linked militants and Filipino troops erupted in Marawi city on Tuesday when gunmen from the local terrorist groups Maute Group and Abu Sayyaf rampaged through the southern city, prompting President Rodrigo Duterte to declare 60 days of martial law in Mindanao. Thousands of residents were reported to have fled from Malawi city while at least 21 people were killed, including a police chief who had been beheaded and buildings were torched by the terror groups. President Duterte said the influence of Islamic State is one of the nation's top security concerns, and martial law on Mindanao island could be extended across the Philippines to enforce order, allowing the detention of people without charge. (Photo by Jes Aznar/Getty Images)
Jes Aznar/Getty Images AsiaPac/Getty Images
MARAWI CITY, PHILIPPINES - MAY 25: Soldiers run for cover to evade sniper fire while trying to clear the city of armed militants, one street at a time, on May 25, 2017 in Marawi city, southern Philippines. Gun battles between ISIS-linked militants and Filipino troops erupted in Marawi city on Tuesday when gunmen from the local terrorist groups Maute Group and Abu Sayyaf rampaged through the southern city, prompting President Rodrigo Duterte to declare 60 days of martial law in Mindanao. Thousands of residents were reported to have fled from Malawi city while at least 21 people were killed, including a police chief who had been beheaded and buildings were torched by the terror groups. President Duterte said the influence of Islamic State is one of the nation's top security concerns, and martial law on Mindanao island could be extended across the Philippines to enforce order, allowing the detention of people without charge. (Photo by Jes Aznar/Getty Images)
Now playing
01:03
Philippines: The next ISIS stronghold?
Tikos Low/Facebook
Now playing
02:15
Witness: Firefighters unable to enter complex
Now playing
00:33
Video shows people fleeing Philippines resort
ABS-CBN
Now playing
00:41
Gunfire heard at Resorts World Manila
Tikos Low/Facebook
Now playing
01:17
Witness: Manila attacker lit bottle of fluids
Manila resort
Jay Dones
Manila resort
Now playing
00:44
Smoke seen from Manila resort roof
cnnee vo disparos en centro comercial en filipinas _00001302.jpg
Tikos Low/Facebook
cnnee vo disparos en centro comercial en filipinas _00001302.jpg
Now playing
01:09
Reports of gunman wearing mask in resort
resorts world manila philippines gunfire explosions update _00005323.jpg
resorts world manila philippines gunfire explosions update _00005323.jpg
Now playing
01:40
Gunfire, explosions heard at Manila resort

Story highlights

Police say there's "no truth" to ISIS' claim of responsibility for attack that killed 37

"One has to be skeptical of the ISIS claim," CNN terrorism analyst says

(CNN) —  

ISIS has claimed responsibility for an attack Friday at a casino in the Philippine capital that left 37 people dead; however, police continue to deny what happened was terror-related.

A lone gunman entered the Resorts World Manila early Friday, firing shots from an assault rifle and setting fire to gambling tables. Most of the victims are believed to have died due to suffocation from the smoke.

Philippine police have released these images of the heavily armed suspect in the Manila casino attack.
Philippines police/CNN Philippines
Philippine police have released these images of the heavily armed suspect in the Manila casino attack.

ISIS claimed that “Islamic State fighters carried out” the attack in a statement Friday by its Amaq News Agency. A follow-up statement from the group’s east Asia division referred to only one attacker – whom it named as Abou al-Kheir al-Arkhebieli – and boasted about the number of “Christians killed or wounded” before he “took his life.”

But police said there was “no truth” to the assertion.

“They can always claim whatever they want to claim,” said Oscar Albayalde, police chief for the Manila area. “They have this reputation of claiming all atrocities all over the world to perpetuate themselves to gain global notoriety. There is no truth that the incident is a terror act.”

The sequencing of ISIS’ claims is not unusual. But CNN terrorism analyst Paul Cruickshank pointed out that the first claim of responsibility referred to multiple attackers, while the second mentioned only one.

“Until any actual proof emerges that ISIS or any other terrorist actor had a role in what police have described as a non-terrorism-related attack, one has to be skeptical of the ISIS claim,” Cruickshank said, adding that Abou al-Kheir al-Arkhebieli would likely be a nom de guerre.

Philippine government forces have been battling ISIS-linked militants on the southern island of Mindanao for control of the city of Marawi for more than a week.

How the attack unfolded

Around midnight Thursday, an armed suspect forced his way into the Resorts World Manila, an upmarket hotel and casino complex near the Ninoy Aquino International Airport.

According to security footage viewed by police, the gunman entered via the parking lot. Police later searched a car and found registration information they haven’t made public.

The attacker walked into the building and past a lone security guard, who panicked when she saw the suspect’s automatic rifle, said Albayalde, the Manila police official.

Stephen Reilly, the resort’s chief operating officer, said only guards on the complex’s perimeter are armed. Internal security officers, who don’t carry weapons, didn’t try to engage the suspect, fearing escalation of the situation, he said.

Video showed guests frantically running for the exits, the sound of gunshots and smoke coming from the upper floors of buildings.

The man ransacked a room and stole gaming chips, Philippine National Police Chief Ronald Dela Rosa said. He stuffed chips totaling 113 million pesos ($2.3 million) in a backpack, which police later recovered, he said.

During the attack, the gunman engaged in a firefight with casino employees, police said.

The attacker was shot and wounded by security guards, and retreated into a hotel room, where he doused a bed with gasoline and shot himself, according to Reilly.

The attacker was found dead around 7 a.m. local time, according to a statement from the resort.

CNN Philippines reported he was found in the room, burned beyond recognition, next to an automatic weapon and a .380-caliber pistol.

Emergency responders tend to a victim Friday at the Resorts World Manila.
Tikos Low/Facebook
Emergency responders tend to a victim Friday at the Resorts World Manila.

Witness ‘could smell smoke’

Hundreds of guests and employees rushed out of the resort after the gunman began shooting on the second floor, hotel employees fleeing the scene told CNN Philippines.

Jay Dones, a witness, said some employees had told him a gunman fired shots in the air.

“One of the employees told me that the suspect began pouring the contents of (a) bottle on one of the tables and lit it on fire,” Dones said.

Witnesses also spoke of hearing what sounded like explosions.

“I could smell some kind of smoke that came from an explosive device,” said Tikos Low, who said he was in the resort’s casino when the attack began.

Of the 37 victims, management said 13 were employees of the casino while the rest were guests. Police haven’t identified the bodies of six people, including two employees and four guests.

CNN’s Euan McKirdy, Zahra Ullah, Nadeem Muaddi, Ralph Ellis and Holly Yan and journalist Kara Magsanoc-Alikpala contributed to this report.