01:05 - Source: WXIN
Policeman shot by off-duty officer

Story highlights

Police officer shoots a colleague, says Indianapolis police

Suspect was apprehended in Cincinnati hours after the shooting

CNN  — 

An off-duty Indianapolis police officer shot a fellow officer Friday and then fled to Cincinnati, where he was later arrested, according to police.

Indianapolis police identified the officer in custody as 42-year-old Adrian Aurs.

Suspended Indianapolis Police Officer Adrian Aurs, seen here in an unrelated arrest from 2004, is charged in the shooting of a detective.

Both Aurs and the victim worked at the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department, where Aurs is an 18-year veteran, said Sgt. Kendale Adams.

Around 8 p.m. Friday, officers responded to a call from Aurs’ estranged wife about domestic violence, he said.

After the initial visit from officers, a special investigations unit detective was sent to do follow-up work at the scene because it involved the wife of a police officer.

The SIU unit investigates criminal complaints or criminal allegations involving police officers and other public safety officials in the city of Indianapolis.

While the detective was at the scene at around 10:30 p.m., Aurs “re-emerged and engaged in gunfire,” Adams said. One of the bullets struck the detective in the elbow.

The detective returned fire, but missed, police said. Aurs then fled in his personal car. His estranged wife and children were inside the apartment when the shooting occurred, but they were not injured.

Aurs held Cincinnati police at bay for an hour

Investigators figured out that Aurs was traveling toward Cincinnati and notified police there. Early Saturday morning, Cincinnati police pulled over his vehicle, but Aurs initiated an hour-long stand off before surrendering, police said.

He was arrested and has been charged with attempted murder. He’s also been suspended without pay, pending termination, according to a statement from Indianapolis police. Detectives are in the process of extraditing him back to Indianapolis and have secured a search warrant for his vehicle.

The detective, a 20-year veteran with the Indianapolis police, was at a local hospital in good condition, the police statement said.