Neighbors identify 18-year-old attacker as Ali Sonboly
Man had no connection to ISIS and no apparent political motive, police say
The teenager who shot dead nine people in Munich on Friday was a mentally troubled man who had extensively researched rampage killings and had no apparent links to ISIS, German police said.
Authorities said the 18-year-old lone attacker – who died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound – had no political motivations.
No references to religion were found in documents in his home in the southern German city.
But investigators searching his belongings found numerous documents on rampage killings, including a book entitled “Rampage in My Mind – Why Students Kill,” said Robert Heimberger, president of the Bavarian state criminal police office.
Neighbors ID gunman
Neighbors told CNN that the teen who lived in the apartment searched by police was Ali Sonboly. German police said the gunman’s parents had been taken in for questioning.
Police have not named the attacker, but said he had dual German and Iranian nationality, and was born and raised in Munich.
It appeared that before the attack, the gunman had hacked a woman’s Facebook account to post a fake offer of free food at the McDonald’s branch where the attack began,German Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere said.
Investigators were still working to confirm that he posted that to lure people to the scene.
Police said there was also likely to be significance in the timing of the attack, five years to the day since Anders Behring Breivik killed 77 people in Norway in 2011, many of them attendees at a youth camp.
Both attacks targeted young people, with most of the victims in Munich in their teens, Police Chief Hubertus Andrae said.
Attack targeted youth
Three of the victims were 14, two were 15, one was 17 and another 19, while a 20-year-old and a 45-year-old were also killed. Three were female.
The victims all were German nationals from the Munich area, officials said. Turkey’s Foreign Ministry said three of the victims were also Turkish nationals.
Another of the victims was also a Greek citizen, Greece’s Foreign Ministry said Saturday.
The attack left 27 people wounded, 10 of them with serious injuries, Andrae said.
Gunman’s fatal wounds self-inflicted
The gunman stormed the McDonald’s outside the Olympia mall in Munich on Friday evening, before continuing in to the shopping center, bringing Germany’s third-largest city to a standstill. Residents were warned to avoid public places and public transport was halted.
Authorities, initially fearing three gunmen were on the loose, mounted a massive operation involving 3,200 security personnel. Terrified shoppers sought safety in strangers’ homes.
Police engaged in a shootout with the gunman, whose body was found near the scene of the attacks. An autopsy indicated he died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, police said.
No suicide note had been found in the attacker’s home, and his parents were too shocked to help police in their investigations, officials said.
The attacker used a 9 mm Glock 17 pistol that was likely obtained illegally. The serial number had been scratched off, and he had about 300 rounds of ammunition in his backpack, police said.
Attacker not known to authorities
De Maiziere said there had been no previous police or intelligence agency investigations into the attacker, the son of Shiite Muslims from Iran who came to Germany as asylum seekers in the 1990s.
“We know that in the apartment of the perpetrator, material was found which leads to him being interested in those who go on a rampage,” he said. “We do not have any indications that would lead to international terrorism.”
The attacker had received medical treatment for mental health issues, a police official said. In 2012, he had been the victim of “bodily injury” in an incident involving other young people.