Retired Gen. Stanley McChrystal told CNN Tuesday that he would decline “any role” offered by Donald Trump if contacted, but at this point the presumptive Republican presidential nominee’s campaign has not reached out.
“I have not been contacted by the Trump campaign,” McChrystal said. “If contacted, I would decline consideration for any role.”
Reports emerged over the weekend that Trump might be considering retired generals for the running mate spot, including McChrystal or Michael Flynn, though the real estate mogul threw some cold water on that idea when he told the Washington Post on Monday that he liked the idea of choosing someone “political.”
“I do like the military, but I do very much like the political,” Trump told the Post.
McChrystal formerly served as the commander of Joint Special Operations Command and U.S. and international forces in Afghanistan. He resigned from the military in 2010 following an interview he did with Rolling Stone magazine in which he was sharply critical of President Barack Obama.
Trump is in Indiana on Tuesday finishing a round of would-be tryouts with vice presidential possibilities, including a rally with Indiana Gov. Mike Pence. He campaigned Monday in Virginia with New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, who has gone through a “full vet” for the spot, a source familiar with Trump’s vice presidential selection process said. And last week, he campaigned in Cincinnati with Newt Gingrich.
CNN’s Eric Bradner and Catherine Treyz contributed to this report.