This page includes the show Transcript
At the bottom of the page, comment for a chance to be mentioned on CNN Student News. You must be a teacher or a student age 13 or older to request a mention on the CNN Student News Roll Call.
The Weekly Newsquiz tests students' knowledge of events in the news
May 27, 2016
Our first story this Friday looks at the significance of U.S. President Barack Obama’s visit to Hiroshima and offers different perspectives on the trip. In Afghanistan, we’re updating the status of the Taliban, following a U.S. drone strike that killed its leader. And we’re explaining why some bridges are crumbling in the U.S. – and how that issue is being addressed.
On this page you will find today’s show Transcript and a place for you to request to be on the CNN Student News Roll Call.
Please note that there may be a delay between the time when the video is available and when the transcript is published.
1. During a trip overseas, U.S. President Barack Obama announced the end of a ban on U.S. weapons sales to what communist country?
2. Egypt announced that it was sending a submarine to search for the remains of a missing passenger plane in what body of water?
3. Name one of the two months when most people attempt to climb Mount Everest because winds are calmer and there is less snowfall.
4. An outbreak of what disease, which can cause liver problems and jaundice, recently struck the nation of Angola?
5. In what year did the ISIS terrorist group take over the Iraqi city of Falluja, which Iraqi and coalition forces are now fighting to win back?
6. Name the revolutionary invention that was first used in 1974 and involved a laser and a pack of chewing gum.
7. Name the organization of several world economies whose leaders met this week in Japan.
8. What country is world’s largest arms exporter, dealing in weapons ranging from assault rifles to fighter jets to armored tanks?
9. What is the name of the militant group that ruled Afghanistan before a U.S.-led invasion of the country ended its leadership?
10. Researchers at the University of Michigan have developed a “bendable” form of what material, which is commonly used to construct bridges in the U.S.?
CNN Student News is created by a team of journalists who consider the Common Core State Standards, national standards in different subject areas, and state standards when producing the show.
For a chance to be mentioned on the next CNN Student News, comment on the bottom of this page with your school name, mascot, city and state. We will be selecting schools from the comments of the previous show. You must be a teacher or a student age 13 or older to request a mention on the CNN Student News Roll Call!
Thank you for using CNN Student News!