Bill Clinton is ignoring Donald Trump's attacks on his past personal conduct
The former president says he plans to ignore the presumptive Republican nominee
Bill Clinton signaled his strategy for dealing with Donald’s Trump’s attacks on his personal conduct Tuesday: ignore, and move on.
On a campaign swing through Puerto Rico Tuesday, the former president was asked by a reporter whether he had any response to Trump’s latest attack on Twitter – alluding to his past infidelities and charging that he was the “worst abuser” of women in U.S. political history.
“No. I think people are smart enough to figure this out without my help,” Bill Clinton replied.
Trump on Tuesday used the new ads aired by the pro-Clinton super PAC, Priorities USA, as an opening to needle the former president about his personal conduct.
“Amazing that Crooked Hillary can do a hit ad on me concerning women when her husband was the WORST abuser of (women) in U.S. political history,” Trump tweeted, referring to Bill Clinton’s past indiscretions.
While many political strategists believed that the Clintons’ marital travails amounted to old news that would not be central to the 2016 campaign, Trump has tried to change that equation – continually attempting to engage the Clintons on the topic.
After Trump tweeted about the Clinton scandals of the 1990s earlier this month, Hillary Clinton was asked during a campaign appearance in Virginia whether she would attempt to correct the record on his provocations.
“I am going to let him run his campaign however he chooses,” she said. “I have nothing to say about him and how he is running his campaign.”
Her campaign stuck to that approach Tuesday, issuing no formal response to Trump’s trolling on Twitter.