This page includes the show Transcript
At the bottom of the page, comment for a chance to be mentioned on CNN Student News. You must be a teacher or a student age 13 or older to request a mention on the CNN Student News Roll Call.
The Weekly Newsquiz tests students' knowledge of events in the news
May 13, 2016
A dangerous heat wave and widespread drought take a toll on Southeast Asia, climbers summit Mount Everest for the first time in two years, and a new undersea cable connects South Africa with Asia and the Middle East: These are our starting points today. From there, we go in depth, exploring details about El Nino, Mount Everest, and the fiber optic cable system that connects us all.
On this page you will find today’s show Transcript and a place for you to request to be on the CNN Student News Roll Call.
Please note that there may be a delay between the time when the video is available and when the transcript is published.
1. In what capital city did a gathering of the 7th Congress of the Workers Party recently take place, its first meeting in 36 years?
2. Pyrocumulus clouds are caused by what kind of disaster, potentially worsening its effects?
3. What U.S. volcano, which was dormant between the 1850s and 1980, has been experiencing a swarm of earthquakes in recent months?
4. A controversial law regarding access to public restrooms has led to lawsuits between the U.S. government and what state?
5. In what body of water would you find Fiery Cross Reef, where China and the U.S. recently disputed the right of a U.S. Navy ship to pass by?
6. Name the Canadian town, located in the province of Alberta, where a wildfire recently destroyed 10 percent of its structures.
7. Name the smallest planet in our solar system, which was recently visible from Earth as it appeared to pass across the face of the sun.
8. As featured on Thursday’s show: Removing bird baths, bottle caps, tires and kiddie pools from your yard can help prevent the spread of what animal?
9. The El Nino climate cycle is being blamed for a dangerous heat wave and widespread drought in the southeast region of what continent?
10. What is the name of the mode of transportation that was tested recently using a sled, reaching 116 miles per hour and hitting 2.5 times the force of gravity?
CNN Student News is created by a team of journalists who consider the Common Core State Standards http://www.corestandards.org/, national standards in different subject areas, and state standards when producing the show.
CNN Student News is created by a team of journalists who consider the Common Core State Standards, national standards in different subject areas, and state standards when producing the show.
For a chance to be mentioned on the next CNN Student News, comment on the bottom of this page with your school name, mascot, city and state. We will be selecting schools from the comments of the previous show. You must be a teacher or a student age 13 or older to request a mention on the CNN Student News Roll Call!
Thank you for using CNN Student News!