- Retired New Orleans Saints player Will Smith was shot to death last Saturday night
- Police charged Cardell Hayes with second-degree murder
(CNN)Police in New Orleans haven't provided many details about the Saturday night slaying of Will Smith, a retired New Orleans Saints player.
- 8: Number of times Will Smith was shot. Seven times in the back and once in the side, the medical examiner said.
- 3: Guns confiscated. A .45-caliber pistol believed used in the shooting, a 9-mm pistol found in Smith's vehicle and a fully loaded revolver found in the Hummer driven by suspect Cardell Hayes.
- 3: Vehicles involved. An orange Hummer driven by Hayes, a Mercedes SUV driven by Smith and a Chevrolet Impala driven by Smith's friend.
- 2: Accidents or near-accidents. Smith slammed on his brakes to avoid hitting the orange Hummer, the Smith family lawyer said. The Hummer rear-ended Smith's vehicle a brief time later, causing it to bump the Impala. Smith and Hayes exchanged words after the second incident, and that's when the gunfire broke out.
- 2: Number of times Smith's wife, Racquel, was shot. Once in each leg.
- 1: Videos that may exonerate Hayes. The suspect's lawyer said video shot by a bystander will "show that my client is legally not guilty." A police spokesman said he couldn't confirm whether there was a video showing the moments before the shooting.