Ex-'Top Gear' host Jeremy Clarkson settles assault claim, law firm says

Jeremy Clarkson, former host of "Top Gear," has settled the assault case that cost his job, a law firm says.

Story highlights

  • Law firm: Clarkson has apologized to the producer
  • British media are reporting a £100,000 payout
  • Clarkson had been warned previously by the BBC

London (CNN)Former "Top Gear" host Jeremy Clarkson has settled a lawsuit filed against him by the producer he allegedly assaulted, according to the producer's attorneys.

The March 2015 incident cost Clarkson his job.
British media are reporting Wednesday that the case involved a £100,000 (about $140,000) payment to producer Oisin Tymon, but Slater and Gordon, the law firm representing Tymon, would not comment on the amount.
    At the end of a day's work on the BBC show last March, Clarkson allegedly subjected Tymon to a stream of verbal abuse and hit him, leaving him with a bloody lip.

    Clarkson: 'I'm sorry... he has had to go through that'

    Tymon's law firm said Clarkson had now apologized.
    "I would like to say sorry, once again, to Oisin Tymon for the incident and its regrettable aftermath," the law firm quoted Clarkson as saying. "I want to reiterate that none of this was in any way his fault."
    He also said that the "abuse" Tymon had suffered since the incident was "unwarranted."
    "I am sorry too that he has had to go through that," the law firm quoted Clarkson as saying.
      Slater and Gordon attorney Paul Daniels said Tymon was eager to put the matter behind him.
      Clarkson had previously been warned by the BBC for other incidents, including for singing a song in a video that appeared on YouTube in which he apparently used the N-word. After the incident involving Tymon, the BBC dropped Clarkson from "Top Gear" for what it called an "unprovoked physical attack."