- This page includes the show Transcript
- Use the Transcript to help students with reading comprehension and vocabulary
- At the bottom of the page, comment for a chance to be mentioned on CNN Student News. You must be a teacher or a student age 13 or older to request a mention on the CNN Student News Roll Call.
- The Weekly Newsquiz tests students' knowledge of events in the news
December 18, 2015
Welcome to our last show of 2015! Topics covered this Friday include a look back at some of the most significant international stories of the year. We're also exploring the potential application of lasers as U.S. military weapons, and we're featuring a random fact about mistletoe, which trees don't find nearly as romantic as some people do. We're grateful for your viewership in 2015, and we look forward to seeing you again on January 4, 2016!
On this page you will find today's show Transcript and a place for you to request to be on the CNN Student News Roll Call.
Please note that there may be a delay between the time when the video is available and when the transcript is published.
1. As noted on Monday's show, what fraction of the U.S. Senate must approve a treaty before it can be ratified?
2. What is the government type of Saudi Arabia, which recently held its first election in which women could vote and run for public office?
3. Name the complex weather pattern that was first recognized in the 1600s and involves naturally warming temperatures in the Pacific Ocean.
4. What is the term for the type of military trial that U.S. Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl will face regarding events in Afghanistan in 2009?
5. Name the largest city in Turkey, where an animal activist is helping dozens of adult golden retrievers who have been abandoned by their owners.
6. In what city would you find America's second-largest school district, which closed on Tuesday after receiving an electronic threat?
7. HoloLens, Magic Leap, Oculus, Project Morpheus, and Vive are all examples of projects involving what kind of technology?
8. What is the name of America's central bank, which is raising its key interest rate by .25%, its first rate hike since 2006?
9. Scientists and treasure hunters are at odds over whether a legendary Nazi "gold train" is buried in a mountainous part of what country?
10. As featured on Friday's show, what kind of plant is romantic to many people but a parasite to many apple trees?
CNN Student News is created by a team of journalists who consider the Common Core State Standards, national standards in different subject areas, and state standards when producing the show.
For a chance to be mentioned on the next CNN Student News, comment on the bottom of this page with your school name, mascot, city and state. We will be selecting schools from the comments of the previous show. You must be a teacher or a student age 13 or older to request a mention on the CNN Student News Roll Call!
Thank you for using CNN Student News!