NEW: South Korea accepts offer to meet North Korea for talks
The two sides last met in August to agree to ease rising tensions
South Korea has accepted an offer from Pyongyang for talks in its truce village of Panmunjeom, South Korea’s Unification Ministry said.
The talks will be held next Thursday, November 26, and will be the first since August, when the two sides met to agree to ease escalating tensions.
Hostilities flared earlier that month when South Korea blamed the North for a land mine explosion in the neutral area of the DMZ, which injured two South Korean soldiers. Pyongyang denies responsibility.
As part of the recent agreement, separated families from both Koreas held emotional reunions in October. Millions of family members were separated after the 1950-1953 Korean War, which ended in an armistice not a peace treaty.
Thursday’s talks will be a preparatory meeting for high-level discussions, South Korea’s Unification Ministry said, on a date yet to be set.
Hyoungjoo Choi contributed to this report.