Who were suspects in Paris terror attacks?

Updated 9:02 PM EST, Tue November 17, 2015

Story highlights

French police are seeking a second man connected to attacks, French ambassador says

Brother of two Paris suspects calls on fugitive brother to surrender

Belgium was aware of three key suspects before the Paris attacks, prosecutor says

(CNN) —  

Investigators looking into Friday’s terror attacks in Paris believe another suspect besides Salah Abdeslam is at large, the French ambassador to the United States said Tuesday. Police have not been able to locate that man, Gérard Araud said.

Salah Abdeslam and at least two other key suspects in attacks that killed at least 129 people were on Belgian authorities’ radar before Friday, a Belgian federal prosecutor told CNN.

In February, Belgian investigators questioned and released two brothers linked to the attacks, Ibrahim and Salah Abdeslam, prosecutor Eric Van der Sypt said. Authorities knew that suspect Bilal Hadfi had visited Syria, and were unaware he’d returned to Europe, Van der Sypt said.

It’s possible that suspects who were directly involved in the attacks remain at large, a French counterterrorism source close to the investigation told CNN.

Here’s what we know about the suspected attackers:

Bilal Hadfi

Sources say Bilal Hadfi was one of the three suicide bombers at a stadium in Paris.
Het Laatste Nieuws
Sources say Bilal Hadfi was one of the three suicide bombers at a stadium in Paris.

Status: Dead

Residence: Belgium

Suspected of: Stadium suicide bombing (Stade de France)

Bilal Hadfi has been identified by several sources as one of the three suicide bombers who struck outside the Stade de France.

Hadfi, a Belgian resident who was 19 or 20 years old, is thought to have fought in Syria, where he went under the names Abu Moudjahid Al-Belgiki and Bilal Al Mouhajir, Belgian terror expert Guy van Vlierden said.

Hadfi appears to have traveled to Syria as recently as spring, van Vlierden said, citing analysis of Hadfi’s social media postings and other communications.

“What we didn’t know is apparently he was back, as he blew himself up in Paris. But we had no knowledge of the fact that he was back in Europe,” Van der Sypt said on Tuesday.

’Ahmad al Muhammad’ (false name)

Minister of Immigration Policy

Status: Dead

Residence: Unknown; immigrated with Syrian refugees

Suspected of: Stadium suicide bombing (Stade de France)

One of three bombers who detonated themselves at the Stade de France late Friday arrived on the Greek island of Leros on October 3 among numerous Syrian refugees, according to a French senator who was briefed by the Ministry of the Interior.

This man held an emergency passport or similar document and falsely declared himself to be a Syrian named Ahmad al Muhammad, born on September 10, 1990, the senator said.

The man was allowed to enter Greece and from there moved to Macedonia, then Serbia and Croatia, where he registered in the Opatovac refugee camp, the lawmaker said.

Eventually, he made his way to Paris.

French police on Tuesday launched an appeal to the public to help identify him. Police issued a photo of the suicide bomber, asking the public to contact authorities through an email address (alerte-attentat@interieur.gouv.fr) in an effort to get information on the man.

Identity unknown

Status: Dead

Suspected of: Stadium suicide bombing

Not much is known about the third suicide bomber at the Stade de France. The French senator said two of those who detonated themselves at the stadium carried false Turkish passports.

Samy Amimour

Status: Dead

Suspected of: Bataclan concert suicide bombing

The Paris prosecutor’s office identified Samy Amimour, 28, as one of the suicide attackers who carried out the massacre at the Bataclan concert hall.

French anti-terrorism authorities had been aware of Amimour; he had been charged for “activities in collaboration with a terrorist enterprise” in 2012, the prosecutor’s office said.

He was placed under supervision in 2012 after anti-terrorism authorities investigated an aborted attempt to travel to Yemen, the statement said.

Amimour was known to have links to terrorists and had been the subject of an international arrest warrant since 2013 after violating the judicial supervision he had been placed under, the prosecutor’s office said.

Three of his relatives are in custody, it said.

Ismael Omar Mostefai

Status: Dead

Residence: Chartres, France

Suspected of: Bataclan concert suicide bombing