Story highlights

Jeremy Mardis was shot to death as officers pursued his father's vehicle

Two officers have been arrested and face charges of murder and attempted murder

The shooting happened Tuesday in Marksville, about 90 miles northwest of Baton Rouge

CNN  — 

Nearly a week has passed since the incident occurred, but answers to disturbing questions are slow in coming.

Jeremy Mardis, a first grader, was shot to death as officers pursued his father’s vehicle. The boy was buckled in the front seat.

“I’ve been a police officer for 35 years, but as a father – much less as a state police – it was a disturbing, disturbing video that I watched, and that really helped move us forward,” Edmonson said Sunday.

The boy’s father was also struck. He remains hospitalized in serious condition, a spokeswoman said.

Officers Norris Greenhouse Jr., 23, and Derrick Stafford, 32, have been arrested and face charges of second-degree murder and attempted second-degree murder. According to Edmonson, a hearing is scheduled in their case on Monday.

“I’ve got to deal in facts. What’s important to me is what caused those police officers to pursue,” Edmonson said. “What caused them to open fire?”

“He (Jeremy) didn’t deserve to die like that. We need to find out why.”

The shooting took place Tuesday in Marksville, a town of about 5,500, about 90 miles northwest of Baton Rouge.

It’s unclear why officers pursued or why shots were fired, since investigators say there were no outstanding warrants against the father, Chris Few, and that no firearm was found in his vehicle.

Jeremy’s first-grade special needs teacher Roxanne Couvillion said the boy loved class, playing and alphabet puzzles. Jeremy was autistic and did not communicate verbally, she said. Couvillion said he was one of her favorite students.

“We’re just heartbroken,” she said. “He always was an angel, and we know that he’s watching over us.”

CNN’s Nick Valencia, Fredricka Whitfield, Ralph Ellis and Devon Sayers contributed to this report.