Recipe: Vegetable confetti spring rolls
Winning Washington, D.C., recipe from “The 2015 Health Lunchtime Challenge Kids’ ‘State Dinner’ Cookbook,” courtesy of WGBH.
Recipe submitted by 8-year-old Timothy Burke of Washington, D.C.: “I like to make my wraps myself. Everyone can put what they like inside, and you can eat a whole meal in just a roll,” Timothy said. “I also like spicy food, but I am picky about vegetables. When we chop the veggie mix up into confetti, it looks fancy, but I can’t really tell what is there, and then when it is wrapped inside rice paper, I can’t even see it! The best part is that I am getting many different veggies in every bite, but when I eat it, I mostly taste the mint and the hoisin sauce!”
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/4 cup olive oil plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cups chopped rainbow chard with stems
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped orange bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup peeled and chopped carrot
- (purple if possible)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 package rice paper
- Hoisin sauce
- 1/3 cup chopped peanuts
- In a large stockpot, combine 1 ½ cups water with the brown rice and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- In a medium bowl, mix ¼ cup of the olive oil with the lime zest, lime juice, and sea salt. Add the chicken, cover, and marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 8 minutes, or until cooked through and golden down. Let cool, then dice into small pieces and place in a small serving bowl. In a large bowl, combine all of the vegetables.
- Soak rice paper in hot water as directed on package. Lay out on the plate. In the center of each paper, put 1 teaspoon hoisin sauce, 1 tablespoon rice, 1 teaspoon chicken, 3 tablespoons vegetable confetti, and 1 teaspoon peanuts (optional).
- Fold 2 sides into the center, then roll tightly from one end to the other, being careful not to rip the rice paper.
Makes 12 servings, 133 calories, 7g fat, 14g carbohydrates, 6g protein