Recipe: Tortilla bowl deluxe
Winning Delaware recipe from "The 2013 Healthy Lunchtime Challenge Kids 'State Dinner' Cookbook," courtesy Epicurious.
Recipe submitted by 9-year-old Braeden Mannering of Delaware. "I like tacos, but they are messy and don't hold a lot, so I chose a corn tortilla bowl," notes Braeden. "That way you can eat the bowl, too. Grilled chicken is good and it's healthy. To add color and vegetables I picked avocado because I don't like lettuce and I wanted it to have some green. I also picked orange sweet peppers and tomatoes. To top the bowl you could add shredded lactose-free cheese. (I am lactose-intolerant.) On the side would be fruit. Pineapples, mangoes, cantaloupe,grapes, and watermelon would be colorful and delicious."
- 1 medium (4-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast, grilled or cooked as desired, and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup diced avocado
- 1/4 cup diced orange bell pepper
- 1/4 cup diced tomato
- 1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 corn tortilla bowl
- In a medium bowl, toss together the chicken, avocado, bell pepper, tomato, and cheese. Season with salt and pepper,scoop into the tortilla bowl and serve immediately.
Makes one serving, 563 calories, 48g protein, 45g carbohydrates, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 921mg sodium