Recipe: Shake it off with a turkey roll
Winning Kentucky recipe from the "The 2015 Healthy Lunchtime Challenge Kids' 'State Dinner' Cookbook," courtesy of WGBH.
Recipe submitted by 9-year-old Izzy Washburn of Kentucky: "This recipe is one of my favorites," says Izzy. "I saw in my experiment that pre-packaged food and fruit snacks/chips and other unhealthy foods were in my friends' lunch boxes. It is important to teach my friends what good choices look like and how what FUEL they choose for their bodies affects how they perform throughout their day."
- Fresh blueberries
- Fresh strawberries, sliced
- Fresh spinach, torn into bite-sized pieces
- Fresh romaine lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- Carrot slivers
- 1 tablespoon ranch dressing
- 1 soft tortilla
- 1/4 teaspoon mayonnaise
- 2 slices turkey breast
- 1 slice Colby Jack cheese
- Place the blueberries and strawberries in a small container together.
- Place the spinach, romaine, and carrots in a small container together. Place the lid on the container and shake.
- Place the ranch dressing in a small container (I like mine separate so my salad isn't soggy by lunch time).
- Place the tortilla on the cutting board. Spread mayonnaise on the tortilla, add the turkey and cheese, roll the tortilla up, and cut it into 1-inch sections.
501 calories, 22g fat, 39g carbohydrates, 35g protein