Recipe: Mediterranean peppers deluxe
Winning West Virginia recipe from the 2014 Health Lunchtime Challenge Kids’ “State Dinner” Cookbook, courtesy of Epicurious.
Recipe submitted by 9-year old Adrianna Nelson of West Virginia: “I love to create healthy recipes because I feel great when I eat healthy. Couscous is my favorite side, and it’s very tasty,” says Adrianna. “I decided to use couscous in my yummy stuffed peppers that are filled with my favorite veggies. I would serve fresh fruit salad as dessert!”
- 4 assorted colors of bell pepper red, green, yellow, and orange halved and seeds removed.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Mediterranean herb seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed rosemary
- 1/4teaspoon Mediterranean oregano leaves
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/3 cups couscous
- 2/3 cup fresh Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 3/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup low-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- On a large baking pan, place pepper halves, cut side down, and cook in oven for 15 minutes or until peppers are tender when pierced
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over moderate heat, warm the oil.
- Add the shallots and garlic, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the ground turkey and cook for 7 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, herb seasoning, rosemary, and oregano and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, couscous, and remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice and bring to a boil, cover, and remove from heat.
- Let stand until couscous is tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add tomatoes roasted red peppers, and parsley.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Turn the pepper halves over and fill each with turkey mixture.
- Top with shredded cheese and bake until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer peppers to serving platter.
Makes four servings, 476 calories, 17g fat, 42g carbohydrates, 35g protein