Recipe: Hannah’s eggy potato scramble
Winning Connecticut Recipe from “The 2015 Healthy Lunchtime Challenge Kids’ ‘State Dinner’ Cookbook” courtesy of WGBH.
Recipe submitted by 10-year-old Hannah Bettis of Connecticut: “I came up with my recipe, because I wanted a meal that was filling and healthy, and also included sweet potatoes as I really love them,” Hannah said. “I do gymnastics and swimming, so I need food that is going to fill me up and give me lots of energy. I love to cook and I help my mom out in the kitchen all the time. Even my little brother Daniel (who wants to be president one day) says it is delicious. I hope you enjoy it, too.”
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 cup Brussels sprouts
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup low-fat cheese
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup ham, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Wash and dry the sweet potatoes, place on a large baking sheet, and bake for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a baking dish, toss the Brussels sprouts with the garlic, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, salt, and pepper. Add to the oven where the sweet potatoes are baking. After 10 minutes, add the mushrooms, and cook for another 10 minutes, or until the veggies are slightly browned.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Cook in a nonstick pan over medium heat for about 2 minutes, or until the eggs are scrambled.
- When the potatoes and veggies are cooked, remove from the oven (leave the oven on) and carefully cut the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise, being careful not to rip the skin. Scoop out the sweet potato flesh and place in a medium bowl. Add the Brussels sprouts-mushroom mixture and the scrambled eggs, mix together well, and place into the potato skins. Sprinkle the cheese, breadcrumbs, and shredded ham on top of each potato half. Bake for 5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
Makes two servings, 437 calories, 19g fat, 43g carbohydrates, 25g protein