Recipe: Purple Power Bean Wrap
Top 30 recipe from "Recipes for Healthy Kids Cookbook for Homes" provided by the USDA's Team Nutrition.
- 1 tsp lemon zest (make zest from juiced lemon)
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon, juiced
- 2 cups canned low-sodium great northern beans, drained, rinsed
- ½ cup fresh avocado, peeled, pitted, puréed
- 1 Tbsp fresh garlic, minced
- 2 ¼ tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups fresh purple cabbage, finely shredded
- 6 whole-wheat tortillas, 10 inches
- 3 cups fresh romaine lettuce, shredded
- Grate lemon rind on hand-held grater or citrus zester to make zest. Juice lemons. Set aside.
- Purée beans in a food processor or a blender until smooth. Put into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Purée avocado, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, olive oil, chili powder, and salt until smooth. Mix into pureed beans. Add shredded cabbage. Mix well.
- You may cover and refrigerate at 40 °F for no more than 2 hours to avoid browning of avocado.
- For each wrap, place 1/3 cup of bean filling on the bottom half of tortilla. Top with ½ cup of lettuce. Roll in the form of a burrito. Cut diagonally. Serve immediately.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 20 minutes Amount: Makes six wraps (Legume vegetable can be counted as either a meat alternate or as a legume vegetable but not as both simultaneously)
Nutrients Per Serving (1 wrap):
Calories 274, Protein 8 g, Carbohydrate 38 g, Dietary Fiber 8 g, Total Fat 10 g, Saturated Fat < 1 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Vitamin A 2880 IU (144 RAE), Vitamin C 24 mg, Iron 2 mg, Calcium 54 mg, Sodium 424 mg.