Recipe: Porcupine Sliders
Grand prize winner from "Recipes for Healthy Kids Cookbook for Homes" provided by the USDA's Team Nutrition.
- 1/8 cup brown rice, long-grain, regular, dry
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 ½ Tbsp fresh onion, peeled, diced
- ¼ cup fresh celery, diced
- 1 ½ tsp fresh garlic, minced
- 1 lb raw ground turkey, lean
- 1 egg, beaten
- 5 Tbsp dried cranberries, chopped
- ¾ cup fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 dash ground white pepper
- 6 (1 oz each) mini whole-wheat rolls (small dinner roll size)
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Combine brown rice and ½ cup water in a small pot and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to low. Cover and cook until water is absorbed, about 30-40 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Cover and refrigerate until completely cooled. A rice cooker may be used with the same quantity of brown rice and water.
- Heat canola oil in a small skillet. Add onions, celery, and garlic. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat. Cover and refrigerate until completely cooled.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine turkey, egg, cranberries, spinach, Worcestershire sauce, salt, peppers, brown rice, and sautéed vegetables. Mix well. Shape into 6 patties.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray. Place patties evenly spaced on baking sheet.
- Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes at 350 °F to an internal temperature of 165 °F or higher for at least 15 seconds (use a food thermometer to check the internal temperature). Do not overcook. Remove from oven and serve on a mini whole-wheat roll. Serve immediately.
- May be served with onion, lettuce, tomatoes, ketchup, and mustard.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes Cooking Time: 1 hour 20 minutes Amount: Makes six sliders (1 slider provides 2 oz equivalent meat/meat alternate and 1 oz equivalent grains)
Nutrients Per Serving:
Calories 247, Protein 16 g, Carbohydrate 26 g, Dietary Fiber 3 g, Total Fat 9 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 85 mg, Vitamin A 540 IU (41 RAE), Vitamin C 2 mg, Iron 2 mg, Calcium 65 mg, Sodium 366 mg