Recipe: Oodles of Noodles
Top 30 recipe from "Recipes for Healthy Kids Cookbook for Homes" provided by the USDA's Team Nutrition.
- 2 ¾ cups penne pasta, whole-wheat, dry (11 oz)
- 1 ½ Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ¼ cups fresh grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 ½ tsp dried basil
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp fresh garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp whole-wheat flour
- 2 1/3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 4 cups fresh Swiss chard, stems removed, chopped
- In a large pot, bring 2 quarts water to a boil. Gradually stir in pasta and return to a boil. Cook uncovered for about 8-10 minutes until tender. Do not overcook. Drain well.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add half of tomatoes and cook 2-3 minutes until skins soften. Do not overcook. Reserve remaining tomatoes for step 4. Add basil, salt, pepper, and garlic. Stir.
- Sprinkle flour over tomatoes. Cook for 30 seconds over medium heat until mixture becomes thick. Add vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and then immediately reduce to low heat.
- Add Swiss chard and remaining tomatoes. Simmer uncovered over low heat for 1-2 minutes or until Swiss chard is wilted. Pour over pasta. Serve hot.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 20 minutes Amount: Makes six 1-cup servings (1 cup provides 1/8 cup red/orange vegetable, 1/8 cup other vegetable, and 2 oz equivalent grains).
Nutrients Per Serving:
Calories 235, Protein 9 g, Carbohydrate 43 g, Dietary Fiber 5 g, Total Fat 4 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Vitamin A 1519 IU (76 RAE), Vitamin C 15 mg, Iron 5 mg, Calcium 50 mg, Sodium 323 mg.