Story highlights

The children suffered from nausea and vomiting

"Please accept our deepest regrets that this ever happened," White Lake Water Park says

(CNN) —  

About 25 children got sick at a North Carolina water park when excess chlorine was pumped into a pool.

The children, who were hospitalized, suffered from nausea and vomiting after the Thursday incident at a water park in Elizabethtown.

“We had an incident at our new wave pool where a higher than normal amount of pool bleach sanitizer was introduced into the pool by accident,” White Lake Water Park said in a statement.

It occurred when an employee shut down a wave pool but left the chlorine pumping for a while, CNN affiliate WECT reported. The park said the bleach was diluted, but the odor escaped into the pool.

When the pool was turned back on, it affected the children, the park owner told the affiliate.

“Please accept our deepest regrets that this ever happened,” the park said in a statement. “We strive to have a safe, fun place for everyone to enjoy.”

The children have been discharged from the hospital, the affiliate said.