- 21.7 million American children get free or reduced-price lunch
- Fewer than 4 million are fed through the USDA's summer food program
- No Kid Hungry, Feeding America and other charities are trying to help
(CNN)The number of hungry people in the world may have decreased, but in the United States, childhood hunger has reached a crisis level.
- No Kid Hungry (Share Our Strength) -- This campaign aims to end childhood hunger in America by connecting children in need with nutritious food and teaching families how to cook healthy budget-friendly meals.
- Feeding America -- This nonprofit is a nationwide network of food banks that feeds more that 46 million people through pantries, soup kitchens, shelters and many other community-based agencies across the United States.