- This page includes the show Transcript
- Use the Transcript to help students with reading comprehension and vocabulary
- At the bottom of the page, comment for a chance to be mentioned on CNN Student News. You must be a teacher or a student age 13 or older to request a mention on the CNN Student News Roll Call.
- The Weekly Newsquiz tests students' knowledge of events in the news
May 29, 2015
CNN Student News closes out the week with a report on a significant legal ruling and a look at the opportunities and challenges presented by desalination plants. Find out what it's like to visit an observatory that pays tribute to the past, present and future. Keep track of the growing number of U.S. presidential hopefuls. And hear about an exceptional animal adoption.
On this page you will find today's show Transcript and a place for you to request to be on the CNN Student News Roll Call.
Please note that there may be a delay between the time when the video is available and when the transcript is published.
1. In what U.S. state would you find the Blanco River, which caused devastating flooding after a weekend of heavy rain?
2. "Flags In" is the name of a tradition in which hundreds of thousands of flags are placed at gravesites in what U.S. cemetery?
3. Name the controversial, anti-terrorism law that was passed in October 2001, expanding the powers of U.S. intelligence and law enforcement agencies.
4. What animal, according to researcher Dr. Caitlin O'Connell, has the ability to communicate seismically with other members of its species?
5. In what country has a deadly heatwave sent temperatures to 117 degrees, straining electrical systems, with no relief in sight until monsoon rains arrive next week?
6. In what Saudi Arabian city is a building under construction that will become the world's largest hotel?
7. Name the international sports organization that the U.S. Justice Department has accused of corruption.
8. Wednesday marked a global awareness day for what incurable disease, which affects the nervous system?
9. This week, a federal appeals court ruled against the Obama Administration on an executive action concerning what controversial issue?
10. Name the unpredictable weather pattern that forms in the Pacific Ocean and could bring rainier conditions to drought-stricken California.
CNN Student News is created by a team of journalists who consider the Common Core State Standards, national standards in different subject areas, and state standards when producing the show.
For a chance to be mentioned on the next CNN Student News, comment on the bottom of this page with your school name, mascot, city and state. We will be selecting schools from the comments of the previous show. You must be a teacher or a student age 13 or older to request a mention on the CNN Student News Roll Call!
Thank you for using CNN Student News!