Story highlights

Conrad Roy, 18, was found dead of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning, police said

Police: A search of his phone found texts from a friend urging him to commit suicide

CNN  — 

A Massachusetts teenager accused of involuntary manslaughter allegedly urged her online boyfriend to commit suicide, telling him in a text message, “The more you push it off, the more it will eat at you,” according to a document released by the Bristol County district attorney’s office.

Michelle Carter, 18, was indicted on February 5.

Conrad Roy, 18, of Fairhaven and Mattapoisett, Massachusetts, was found dead in his car of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning on July 13, Sgt. Kevin Kobza, public information officer for the Fairhaven Police Department, said Saturday.

At one point the night of Roy’s death, he exited the vehicle and communicated to Carter that he was having second thoughts about taking his own life, Kobza told CNN. Carter then urged him via text message to get back in the car, Kobza said.

After searching Roy’s cell phone, police discovered hundreds of texts between the two teenagers, many with language from Carter encouraging Roy to take his life, according to police.

In text messages between July 6 and July 12, 2014, “Carter assisted Conrad’s suicide by counseling him to overcome his doubts, devising a plan to run a combustion engine within his truck … and by directing him to go back in his truck after he exited it, when he became frightened and said the plan was working,” according to a court document.

Carter’s lawyer, Joseph Cataldo, said Saturday that the evidence will show this was not manslaughter and that Carter attempted to console Roy on “many occasions.”

“The facts that have been given out to the public at this point put her in the worst possible light,” Cataldo said. “My heart goes out to the family, but this was a young man who planned this for months and months.”

Since his death, photos and messages about Roy have been posted to a Twitter page that the district attorney’s office confirmed to be Carter’s. One reads, “I can’t believe today already marks 4 months without you. I love you and miss you always Conrad…”

In September 2014, Carter organized a softball tournament in Roy’s memory and raised $2,300 for mental health awareness, according to police.

Carter was arraigned on February 6 in New Bedford Juvenile Court and released on $2,500 bail and told not to use social media, according to Gregg Miliote, a spokesman for the Bristol County district attorney’s office.

Carter was indicted as a youthful offender because she was not 18 at the time of Roy’s death. Youthful offenders are tried in juvenile court, but the proceedings are public.

Because of a familial relationship he has with the victim’s family, Bristol County District Attorney Thomas Quinn recused himself from the investigation and prosecution of this case, the District Attorney’s Office said.

Carter’s pretrial hearing is set for April 17.