A third presidential bid for former Republican nominee Mitt Romney is definitely not in the cards if his wife has any say.
“Done,” she said, when asked by the Los Angeles Times in a story published Monday, about her husband running for president. “Completely. Not only Mitt and I are done, but the kids are done.”
“Done. Done. Done,” she added.
Ann Romney also listed off a field of contenders for the GOP nomination in 2016: former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, Sen. Rob Portman of Ohio and Wisconsin’s Rep. Paul Ryan, her husband’s vice presidential pick in 2012.
And Romney also told NBC News’ Maria Shriver in a story published Tuesday that she and her husband aren’t planning on a 2016 run.
“We said at the end, we will never do this again,” Romney said.
The forceful statements from Romney come amid growing speculation that her husband, the former Massachusetts governor, is toying with the idea of a third run at the White House. Romney has been an especially visible presence on the campaign trail in recent months as he looks to boost his party’s candidates in key Senate contests.
Romney added fuel to the speculative fire last month when he hinted to the New York Times Magazine that there was “a chance” he could change his mind on a presidential bid and said, “We’ll see what happens.”
And in August Romney told radio host Hugh Hewitt that “circumstances can change, but I’m just not going to let my head go there.”
Earlier this month, Romney made a more definitive statement on the campaign trail with Minority Leader Mitch McConnell: “I’m not running, I’m not planning on running.”