NEW: Cameraman is believed to be the fourth American stricken while in Liberia
He will return to the United States for treatment
The freelance cameraman, 33, was hired Tuesday, the network reports
“Man oh man, I have seen some bad things in the last two weeks of my life,” he posted on Facebook last month from the Liberian capital of Monrovia.
He will return to the United States for treatment.
The freelance cameraman, Ashoka Mukpo, 33, was hired Tuesday and came down with symptoms on Wednesday, NBC News reported.
“We are doing everything we can to get him the best care possible. He will be flown back to the United States for treatment at a medical center that is equipped to handle Ebola patients,” NBC News President Deborah Turness reportedly said in a note to staff.
“We are also taking all possible measures to protect our employees and the general public,” she said.
According to NBC News, he was hired to be a second cameraman for Dr. Nancy Snyderman, NBC News chief medical editor and correspondent.
“The rest of the crew, including Dr. Nancy, are being closely monitored and show no symptoms or warning signs. However, in an abundance of caution, we will fly them back on a private charter flight and then they will place themselves under quarantine in the United States for 21 days – which is at the most conservative end of the spectrum of medical guidance,” Turness said in her note.
The cameraman is believed to be the fourth American stricken by the disease while in Liberia.
Dr. Rick Sacra, Dr. Kent Brantly and Nancy Writebol all contracted the disease while working in the country. Each has recovered.