Liberia's top medical officer is in Ebola quarantine

Story highlights

  • Liberia's chief medical official is in a quarantine, after her assistant died of Ebola
  • Health Ministry closed for a day to decontaminate from Ebola
  • A U.S. doctor who was exposed to Ebola in Sierra Leone will go to an NIH Clinic
  • At least 6,553 cases of Ebola are reported in West Africa, WHO said
Liberia's chief medical officer is on a 21-day Ebola quarantine after her assistant died from the illness, according to health officials.
The assistant died Thursday, prompting the closure of the the Ministry of Health headquarters building for decontamination, officials said.
The ministry reopened on Friday, but Dr. Bernice T. Dahn entered a quarantine period, her deputy, Tolbert Nyenswah, said.
The assistant showed symptoms of Ebola 10 days ago, officials said, but Dahn last had contact with him 13 days ago.
An American doctor who volunteered in Sierra Leone and was exposed to Ebola will be admitted to the Clinical Center of the National Institutes of Health in coming days, the NIH said in a statement.
The patient will be there for observation and to take part in a clinical study, according to the NIH. No more details were made available.
West Africa is fighting the worst Ebola outbreak on record, according to the World Health Organization.
The number of deaths has climbed to 3,083 and the number of cases has reached 6,553, the World Health organization said in a statement. The figures are based on information provided on September 23 by health ministries in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, the countries most impacted by the Ebola outbreak.
Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf told world leaders at the United Nations this week that at least 85 of Liberia's more than 1,700 Ebola victims were health care workers.
The crisis is deteriorating Liberia's economy, she said.
"Partners and friends, based on understandable fear, have ostracized us; shipping and airline services have sanctioned us; and the world has taken some time to fully appreciate and adequately respond to the enormity of our tragedy," Sirleaf said.