The government is moving to revoke the ferry operator's business licenses
Cheonghaejin Marine Company operated the ferry that sank last month off the South Korean coast
Authorities have arrested the company's chief executive; he faces charges including causing death by negligence
Searchers have recovered 269 bodies from the sunken ferry; another 35 people remain missing
The death toll from the South Korean ferry capsizing has gone up to 275, with dozens more still missing, the nation’s officials said Saturday.
The chief executive of ferry operator, Cheonghaejin Marine Co., was arrested Thursday and is facing charges including causing death by negligence, said Yang Joong-jin, a senior prosecutor in the investigation.
The government is also taking steps to revoke the company’s business licenses, the the Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries said.
The planned measures are aimed at taking away the licenses of the company for all its routes, including the one on which the Sewol passenger ferry sank.
Most of the dead and missing are students, all from the same high school, who were taking the ferry to the resort island of Jeju for a field trip.