NEW: Mister Cee returns to his job hours after quitting amid a sex scandal
NEW: A station spokeswoman can't confirm if DJ's return is permanent
"I have been in denial about this for a very long time," he says
Drag queen video includes recording of an encounter purportedly with Mister Cee
A day after Mister Cee told listeners he was quitting his job at New York’s Hot 97, the veteran hip-hop DJ was back on the air.
“Mister Cee, I’m back!” he said. “I’m humbled and blessed to be back in this building.”
Cee – whose real name is Calvin LeBrun – was caught in a controversy involving an alleged car ride with a drag queen that was documented in a video posted on YouTube.
“I really feel like I let y’all down,” Cee said in an interview on the station’s morning show Thursday. CNN previously quoted similar comments made in an unverified Twitter account that the station says is not Cee’s.
Station spokeswoman Lindsay Salandra confirmed to CNN that Cee was working his air shift Thursday afternoon, but she said she had not heard from the general manager if he was back permanently.
Hot 97 General Manager Alexandra Cameron, in a statement to CNN on Wednesday, said the station and Cee parted company after 20 years because of “some personal circumstances that have become public.”
“We feel that this is in the best interest of both Hot 97 and Cee’s personal well-being,” Cameron said. “While we do not endorse the alleged activities, he is clearly facing a personal dilemma that is for him and only him to comment on.”
Cee said in the interview Thursday that he was addicted to prostitutes and strippers.
“I am tired of trying to do something or be something that I am not,” he said.
Cee’s resignation followed the posting on YouTube of a video in which a cross-dressing personality using the name Bimbo Winehouse plays an audio recording of a seven-minute encounter purportedly with Mister Cee.
“Have I lied about getting sexual fellatio in a car with a transsexual?” he said. “Yes, I have lied about that and I feel bad for the listeners that it did take a video for me to say this, because I have been in denial about this for a very long time.”
He said the video was recorded nearly a year ago.
CNN’s Denise Quan contributed to this report.