Fox breaks 'Idol' silence: 'Everything is on the table'

Apparently no one is guaranteed to return next season on "Idol."

Story highlights

  • Fox entertainment chairman says change is coming to "Idol"
  • "The format will have a few fresh twists," he told reporters
  • "Idol" has gone from the No. 1 show to a Top 5 show
Fox broke its silence on the worrisome performance of former reality titan "American Idol" and reports that the network is planning to reboot the entire show — including dumping its judges panel. Longtime Idol judge Randy Jackson quit last week after hearing the news, which still leaves Mariah Carey, Keith Urban and Nicki Minaj up for possible elimination.
Speaking on a conference call with reporters before the network's upfront presentation in New York City on Monday, Fox entertainment chairman Kevin Reilly blamed the show's ratings decline on the age of the show and some creative changes that were made to season 12′s format.
"More so than any one factor is the age of the show right now, but [also] maybe the format this year," Reilly said. "We expanded some of the middle rounds we did a boy-girl thing that went over three weeks —