Boston bombings: The week in photos

Updated 3:52 PM ET, Wed April 8, 2015
24 boston marathon explosion24 boston marathon explosion
1 of 23
The second of two explosions goes off near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on April 15, 2013. Three people were killed and at least 264 were injured in the double bombings. David L. Ryan/The Boston Globe via Getty Images
A man comforts a victim at the scene of the first explosion. John Tlumacki/The Boston Globe via Getty Images
Runners react near Kenmore Square after the explosions. Alex Trautwig/Getty Images
Rescue workers tend to the wounded on the scene. First responders tried to save lives and limbs before transporting victims to hospitals. David L. Ryan/The Boston Globe/Getty Images
On April 16, 2013, a vigil was held at Boston's Garvey Park for 8-year-old bombing victim Martin Richard. The other victims were Krystle Campbell, a 29-year-old restaurant manager from Medford, Massachusetts, and Lingzi Lu, a 23-year-old Chinese national attending graduate school at Boston University. Jared Wickerham/Getty Images
The city was quiet the day after the tragedy. Here, a young runner, left, sits in a church near the scene of the attack. Spencer Platt/Getty Images
On April 17, 2013, a federal law enforcement source with firsthand knowledge of the investigation told CNN that a lid to a pressure cooker -- thought to have been used in the bombings -- had been found on a roof of a building near the scene. It was one of several pieces of evidence authorities found. Reuters/Landov
The device also had fragments such as nails, BBs and ball bearings, the FBI said. Reuters/Landov
On April 18, 2013, the FBI released photos and video of two suspects in the bombings and asked for the public's help in identifying them. FBI
The FBI later identified the suspects as Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, left, and his brother Tamerlan Tsarnaev. FBI
FBI Suspect No. 2, later said to be Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, is apparently seen in this picture, far left in white cap. The photo was taken by Boston Marathon runner David Green at the scene of the bombings. Courtesy David Green
The man identified as Dzhokhar Tsarnaev appears in a tighter crop of Green's photo. Green submitted the photo to the FBI, he told CNN's Piers Morgan in an interview. Courtesy David Green
Late on the night of April 18, 2013, police responded to a call that a campus officer at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology was shot and killed. Police said a man later reported being carjacked by the brothers. The two were stopped in Watertown, Massachusetts, where police said they threw explosives and shot at the officers. One man, assumed to be Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, drove off. The other, later identified as Tamerlan Tsarnaev, was injured. He died at the hospital. Barcroft Media/Landov
Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis speaks to the media on April 19, 2013, and explains that the city is on lockdown until the surviving suspect is found. Jared Wickerham/Getty Images
Officers scoured Watertown, Massachusetts, where Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was last seen. MATT CAMPBELL/EPA/LANDOV
Frightened residents were questioned near Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's home in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Jared Wickerham/Getty Images
SWAT teams conducted door-to-door searches in Watertown while looking for the suspect. Barry Chin/The Boston Globe/Getty Images
Ruslan Tsarni, uncle of the Tsarnaev brothers, gave an interview April 19, 2013, outside his home in Montgomery Village, Maryland. He urged Tsarnaev to turn himself in. JIM LO SCALZO/EPA/LANDOV
SWAT teams continue to search in Watertown on April 19, 2013. TIMOTHY A. CLARY/AFP/Getty Images
On the evening of April 19, 2013, a Watertown resident called the police and reported seeing a man on a boat in his backyard. Residents ran from the area where police said Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was hiding on Franklin Street. Darren McCollester/Getty Images
Helicopters with infrared devices detected a man under the boat tarp. Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's frame is seen in this thermal image released by Massachusetts State Police. Massachusetts State Police
Police threw "flash-bangs" -- devices meant to stun people with a loud noise -- and started negotiations with Tsarnaev. He eventually surrendered and was transported to a local hospital in serious condition. MA State Police
People wave U.S. flags in Watertown after it was announced that Tsarnaev had been captured. SHANNON STAPLETON/Reuters/LANDOV