pkg Kaye acts of heroism _00010925.jpg
The people who saved others in Boston
02:08 - Source: CNN

Story highlights

NEW: Wounded woman searches for her personal hero, Tyler

NFL's Joe Andruzzi downplays carrying a victim to triage tent

Carlos Arredondo, at the Boston Marathon to honor his late son, helped a man survive

Dr. Vivek Shah was finishing the race; he and other medical professionals rushed to help

CNN  — 

“Moments like these, terrible as they are, don’t show our weakness; they show our strength.” These words were spoken by Suffolk County, Massachusetts, District Attorney Dan Conley after Monday’s terror attack in Boston.

A day later, signs of that strength are seen in the stories of people – you might call them heroes – who were near the Boston Marathon finish line when two bombs exploded seconds apart.

Honoring a son

Carlos Arredondo’s story began nearly nine years ago, when he doused himself with gasoline and used a welder’s torch to set his body on fire. Arredondo, a Costa Rican immigrant living in Florida, had just been told his 20-year-old son, Marine Lance Cpl. Alexander Arredondo, was killed in combat in Iraq.

Arredondo initially thought the three Marines pulling up to his home were bringing his son to surprise him on his 44th birthday.

Arredondo, now 52, recovered from his burns and became a peace activist, traveling the United States with a coffin filled with his son’s possessions. This journey brought him to the marathon finish line to watch someone who was running in honor of his son.

Arredondo handed out American flags to spectators. He wore two buttons on his shirt with photographs of Alexander and his other son, who committed suicide at age 24.

What happened next could have been a scene familiar to his Marine son: A bomb exploded. Arredondo is seen on video, wearing a cowboy hat, helping National Guard troops, police and firefighters wrestle a fence open to allow emergency responders to reach the dozens of wounded people bleeding on the Boston sidewalk.

Once there, Arredondo found a young man – perhaps the age of his son – bleeding from serious leg wounds.

“I just concentrated on that young man and tied him up, his legs, and talked to him,” Arredondo said, his hands trembling, in a video posted on YouTube.

He used part of his clothing to make a tourniquet to slow the blood loss from the man’s severed artery.

“He was conscious,” Arredondo said. “I let him know the ambulance is on the way, that it’s OK.”

When paramedics arrived, Arredondo helped put the man in a wheelchair. A news photo that has become an iconic image of the tragedy shows Arredondo, his hands covered in blood, running alongside as the man is rushed to an ambulance.

“There were so many people who lay next to me begging me for help, begging me for help, but I only can help one at a time,” he said. “So I just helped that young man.”

The man told Arredondo his name, but he couldn’t remember it later.

Hours later, he still held on to an American flag, now stained with blood.

Running to help

Dr. Vivek Shah was 25 yards away from finishing the 26.2-mile run when the first bomb exploded to his left. He wasn’t sure “whether it was the fireworks gone bad or something that was supposed to happen,” Shah said Tuesday.

“Then, after the second explosion went off, we knew something was wrong because all of the spectators and fans started running away from us,” Shah said.

Shah’s story represents the heroism of many other medical professionals who were close by when the terror began: doctors, nurses and paramedics who were running, spectators in the stands or waiting at the finish line to treat exhausted runners.