India gang-rape victim in Singapore for treatment; new protests hit New Delhi

Story highlights

NEW: "The patient condition remains extremely critical," hospital official says

NEW: Students, elderly women joined a march that was blocked from downtown New Delhi

Widespread anger about a 23-year-old woman's rape has prompted massive protests

She was hospitalized after a rape and beating on a moving bus on December 16

New Delhi CNN  — 

The victim of a brutal gang rape that sparked massive protests in India’s capital, arrived in Singapore for further medical treatment on Thursday.

“She is in extremely critical condition and being examined by doctors,” the spokesperson said.

The 23-year-old woman was severely injured and has spent days in intensive care, after what police said was a gang rape and beating on a moving bus in New Delhi on December 16.

Widespread anger over the incident prompted massive anti-rape protests in the Indian capital over the weekend.

Elderly and middle-aged women also joined the march, which was blocked from moving into downtown New Delhi, the scene of furious protests over the weekend.

Marching demonstrators carried placards demanding fast-tracking of rape trials across the country and an emergency session of parliament to toughen laws related to sex attacks.

New Delhi rape exposes the perils of being a woman in India

“Commit or quit,” read a large banner. “Justice for women now.”

Protesters chanted slogans against the government and police for Sunday’s crackdown on anti-rape demonstrations in New Delhi’s government district.

Hundreds of police had fanned across the area in riot gear well before the march.

“Despite massive protests across Delhi and India, the government’s assurances have been hollow and smack of tokenism,” said Neha Kaul Mehra, a student participant. “Rather, the response – the crackdown – has been feudal.”

Read more: New Delhi police fire water cannon at India rape protest

The Cabinet plans to set up a commission to look into the rape and suggest measures to improve women’s safety. The commission has three months to submit its report to the government.

CNN’s Harmeet Shah Singh reported from New Delhi. Elizabeth Neisloss reported from Singapore.