Students overcome by carbon monoxide at an Atlanta school; one parent and the Public School Deputy Superintendent offer their take

exp point.carbon.monoxide.elementary.school.student_00002001
exp point.carbon.monoxide.elementary.school.student_00002001

    JUST WATCHED

    Kids sickened by gas leak at school

MUST WATCH

Kids sickened by gas leak at school 03:05

Students at an Atlanta elementary started feeling sick just after the school day began this Monday morning, prompting all 500 children and their teachers to be evacuated. Seven-year-old Adrianne Whitener was one of 44 children and several adults hospitalized when the gas leak at Finch Elementary School suddenly made them ill. She and her mother Josephine Benjamin join us live from Atlanta with their story. Benjamin says the first-grader passed out shortly after classes started.

exp point.smith.carbon.monoxide_00002001
exp point.smith.carbon.monoxide_00002001

    JUST WATCHED

    Carbon monoxide monitors in schools

MUST WATCH

Carbon monoxide monitors in schools 02:48
The Atlanta Fire Department measured a carbon monoxide level of 1,700 parts per million near the school's furnace, one of the highest levels the city's fire department has ever seen. Deputy Superintendent of Atlanta’s Public Schools Steve Smith also joins “Starting Point” live from Atlanta.