02:27 - Source: CNN
Palestinian boy killed in Gaza

Story highlights

13-year-old Ahmed Abu Daqa is buried

He was shot while playing soccer Thursday

The Gaza Health Ministry blames the dead on the IDF

There are no indications the IDF "had any connection to the shooting," spokeswoman says

Jerusalem CNN  — 

Funeral services were held Friday for a 13-year-old Palestinian boy shot and killed while playing soccer in Gaza a day earlier.

A spokesman for the ministry accused the Israel Defense Forces of killing the boy. “Hameed Abu Daqqa was killed by an Israeli military helicopter after being shot in the head while playing football with his friends east of Khan Younis,” ministry spokesman Ashraf al-Qidra told CNN.

Read more: Gaza truce gets off to a shaky start

Initially, the ministry said the boy was shot in the head by an Israeli helicopter. Witnesses disputed that account Friday, saying the boy was shot in the side and the gunfire came from Israeli military vehicles.

Israeli Military Lt. Col. Avital Leibovich told CNN that the IDF could not confirm they were responsible for the shooting. “There is no information that the IDF targeted a person,” he said.

The incident occurred on a day marked by Israeli military activity inside Gaza and on its border with Israel.

Leibovich said that 300 meters inside Gaza, Israeli border soldiers had discovered a cache of explosives in a tunnel adjacent to a security fence.

Read more: Israel airstrikes target Gaza, killing at least 16

After the soldiers returned to their post on the border and set about repairing the fence, an explosion erupted, the military said.

Palestinian sources said that, before the boy was shot, a number of Israeli military vehicles and tanks had entered Gaza some 500 meters east of Khan Younis, where they came under fire from militants.

The tanks responded by firing two rounds towards farmland; no one was injured in that incursion, they said.

CNN’s Kareem Khadder, Michael Schwartz and Talal Abu Rahman contributed to this report.