Advertisement

E-mails show promoter’s doubts before Michael Jackson’s death

Advertisement

Story highlights

Sunday's Los Angeles Times reveals internal e-mails from "This Is It" promoter

"AEG will make a fortune" despite Jackson's death, promoter says in e-mail

"MJ is locked in his room drunk and despondent," AEG Live head writes on day of announcement

Randy Phillips calls Michael Jackson 'an emotionally paralyzed mess' in e-mail

Los Angeles CNN —  

The promoter for Michael Jackson’s comeback concerts expressed doubts about the star’s ability to be ready for the shows but expressed confidence in the private doctor eventually convicted in Jackson’s death, according to e-mails published in Sunday’s Los Angeles Times.

AEG Live President Randy Phillips was responding to “This Is It” director Kenny Ortega’s e-mail, which said Jackson had “strong signs of paranoia, anxiety and obsessive-like behavior” and suggesting they hire a “top Psychiatrist in to evaluate him ASAP.”

Jackson died on June 25, 2009, from what the Los Angeles County coroner ruled was an overdose of a surgical anesthetic and sedatives, drugs that Dr. Conrad Murray told police he used to help the entertainer sleep as he prepared for the concerts set to start two weeks later.

Murray was convicted of involuntary manslaughter and sentenced to four years in prison last year.

The e-mails, leaked to the newspaper, were gathered for an insurance company’s lawsuit, which seeks to void a $17.5 million policy that AEG Live purchased in case Jackson was not able to perform the 50 shows scheduled for London’s O2 Arena. The newspaper did not disclose the source of the leaks.