Jennifer Lawrence is attached to play one half of an unusual union in "Ends of the Earth"
Patrick St. Esprit will join "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" as Romulus Thread
Mickey Rourke is negotiating to star opposite Gerard Butler in "Motor City"
The following is a round up of some of the latest casting news:
• Jennifer Lawrence is attached to play one half of a most unusual union in “Ends of the Earth,” a biopic about Lydie Marland and her uncle/adoptive father/husband, oil magnate and eventual governor of Oklahoma Ernest Marland. Yes, you read that right: Lydie’s biological parents gave her up for adoption to her wealthy aunt and uncle, which her uncle later annulled so he and Lydie could marry. And that man became governor. Chris Terrio (Argo) penned the script, but no director is yet attached. [Variety]
• Speaking of Lawrence, Patrick St. Esprit (“Sons of Anarchy”) will join her in “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire,” playing the small supporting role of Romulus Thread, the ruthless new head Peacekeeper for District 12. Francis Lawrence (“I Am Legend”) is directing. [Variety]
• Mickey Rourke is negotiating to star opposite Gerard Butler in “Motor City”, a drama about a man seeking retribution against the person whose double cross landed him in jail. (Albert Hughes is directing.) If that isn’t hard-scrabble noir enough for you, Rourke is also aiming to reprise his role of Marv in “Sin City 2,” even though the character was electrocuted in Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller’s first film. [Deadline]
• Next up on the ‘80s star double-feature circuit, Kevin Costner has been offered the role of the mentor to Jack Ryan (Chris Pine) in the upcoming prequel/reboot of the Tom Clancy/CIA analyst franchise. (Kenneth Branagh is directing and starring as the main villain.) Costner has also been offered the lead in “Three Days to Kill,” about an assassin with a fatal illness going off on one last job in France, to be produced by Luc Besson’s EuropaCorp, the same company behind the “Taken” films. Neither deal is close to done, however. [Deadline]
• Joe Manganiello (“Magic Mike”) is in talks to join the growing cast of “Breacher,” about 10 crooked DEA agents who begin dying one by one after they use an official operation to mask a robbery. Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sam Worthington, Terrence Howard, and Dawn Olivieri (House of Lies) will costar. David Ayer (“Harsh Times”) is directing. [THR]
• Catherine Keener and Toni Collette have signed up for the new, untitled comedy from writer-director Nicole Holofcener (“Please Give,” “Friends with Money”). Keener will star as a new friend to a divorcée Julia Louis-Dreyfuss, who ends up falling for Keener’s ex-husband (James Gandolfini). Collette will play Keener’s therapist, who is also Louis-Dreyfuss’ friend. Got all that? [Variety]
• Lindsay Lohan is in talks for an unspecified role in “Scary Movie 5,” to be directed by Malcolm D. Lee (Soul Men). Yeah, that seems about right. [E! Online]